Author Topic: What thickness Steel is used for the frame, etc..  (Read 2913 times)

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
What thickness Steel is used for the frame, etc..
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
Before anyone says it, i know i could "phone Extreme" to find this out. But seeing as this isn't that urgent, and i thought the information would be useful for sharing with others who are doing or planning a build, it seemed only right to ask on the forums.

Basically, I've finally got my MIG welder, I've already fabricated brackets to relocate the fuseboxes and the new handbrake is just about in place (I'll post photos in the next few days hopefully).  But as I'm still learning to weld while I'm doing all of this, I'm taking my time and doing lots of tests before I make the final pieces so that I can be confident in my welds.

So it seems only sensible that I get a bit of practice in with some materials the same as I'm going to encounter in the kit, so that i can hit the ground running. So...

1) What thickness is the steel used in the body-supporting frame?
2) Also, after watching the build vid I'd be interested to know the thickness's of the chassis extension parts (ignoring the engine mounts - I've got a bloke lined up to do that bit for me with a big-boy welder)

Once I know this I can go and get a lot of off cuts to practice on!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:21:52 AM by davecymru »

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What thickness Steel is used for the frame, etc..
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »
Hi mate, I will measure a few parts tonight to ge the thickness. I think the frame is standard 25mm box section but will check the thickness steel used. The vertical points that attach to the door hinge area are substantially as well as the engine mounts.

I would practice welding thick to thin too, as there are quite a few areas where you have to have the power up to penetrate the thick steel yet low enough so you dont blow through the MR2 panels. Its just a case of getting the right balance.

Beach

• View Profile
Re: What thickness Steel is used for the frame, etc..
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
the thinparts are the toughest to weld. you easily burn holes through it

if you can weld the thin parts, you can weld the rest.
another difficulty is welding in "harsh" positions. this you wont learn at our workbench (normally ;))
migwelding is the most userfriendly weldingprocess at my opinionoqt appropriate for this job

For stainless steel i prefer tig

Advert