Author Topic: 430 mirror switch  (Read 3935 times)

mag

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
430 mirror switch
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
what is the switch on the f430 wing mirror for?

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 430 mirror switch
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:08:54 AM »
If you mean the little knob thing on the bottom of the genuine, I believe it is a temperature sensor. It doesnt actually 'switch' or move on my genuine one, just sticks out the bottom. Id probably sand it off and make it smooth if its moulded into the mirror!! Easier than masking it!!

mag

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 05:08:59 PM »
thanks just found some photos with it on....

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
Had a look at a D9 pug & they also have the temp sensor under the mirror just the same (not sure if the D8 has it too)

A drilled hole should be all that is needed & fit the pug one in the same place.

I took some photos all round of my genuine mirror, will post them once i am back at my home pc.

mag

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »
thanks mate ;)

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
Here you go, pics of the mirror.

mag

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
so are they off a real f430? if so how much did you pay and from who?

drew how does the pivot work with 3 bolts?

how is the top arm fixed?

thanks mark
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:48:01 PM by mag »

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
I will take them apart & take pics so you can see. (I havent done this myself yet!)

The lower pivot is the one with the folding motor from what I can see. The 3 screws hold it in place. The upper pivot doesnt have any securing bolts, it is just a pin into a pivot.

I bought these brand new from Prosport. They are unpainted and unfitted. They cost an arm and a leg, just short of a grand for the pair...yep I know im mad, but they just weren't available from anywhere else when I got them! They are the ones that your wing mirrors came from. All my 430 parts are the ones used to mould from for the 430.  ;D

I only have this side left, I already sold the other side.

I do have challenge and standard aluminium boot lid, rear diffuser, rear bumper, pass rear quarter, etc if anyone is fixing up a genuine. No point using them on a kit tho when you can get the same in fibreglass from Extreme.

mag

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »
thanks mate

So the real 430 ones have power fold on them? wonder how that works? would be nice to have it on the kit ones to! any ideas, i'll have a think, may come up with somthing ::)

do you work for extreme then drew?

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
I think they do, I havent ever had a real one to connect it up to!! From looking through the gap thats all I can think it is. Also unless the detent is very stiff I cant move the mirror and base relative to each other & dont want to force it as im sure its a motor in there!! I need to get the screwdriver out & have a look!

Nope, I dont work for extreme, im friends with Ash & really wanted a 430 hardtop rather than a 360. Providing lots of the genuine parts kind of sped up the process of it being produced  ;D
Funny really as I always intended to have the first kit out of the moulds, but getting a murci kind of delayed it! I have my donor waiting at the moment, but other cars always seem to take priority!

Like this one!!!

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
Like this one!!!

Hey, whats the story with this then?

XPERT360

• Extreme Owner
    • MSN Messenger - buddyrees@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »
Fek me drew, you won the pools? >:( ;D ;D ;D

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
Hehehe! Nope! Could do with doing though!!  ;D ;D will reveal all about the car later.

Looks good doesnt it!

More pics etc soon, should be on the road in 3 weeks ish if all goes ok. Been fiddling with the windows and rear suspension mods. Rear screen has just gone in & wiring in the centre brake light.

If anyone is having probs with the windows popping off the sliders, I have a really simple mod for the windows which uses the standard pug sliders and makes them so they cant pop off. I did try about 3 other methods (some way too complicated) to get round it with no luck. The simple solutions are always the best! Will get some pics soon.

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Hehehe! Nope! Could do with doing though!!  ;D ;D will reveal all about the car later.

Looks good doesnt it!

More pics etc soon, should be on the road in 3 weeks ish if all goes ok. Been fiddling with the windows and rear suspension mods. Rear screen has just gone in & wiring in the centre brake light.

If anyone is having probs with the windows popping off the sliders, I have a really simple mod for the windows which uses the standard pug sliders and makes them so they cant pop off. I did try about 3 other methods (some way too complicated) to get round it with no luck. The simple solutions are always the best! Will get some pics soon.

Im interested in the fix you have for windows popping,  I bought new plastic sockets with clips but not 100% sure they will stay in.

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Clips.....what clips!!! I dont have any clips!

Hmmm, maybe thats why these were popping in the first place  ;D :o

What I ended up doing was cut off the front face of the plastic sockets so it is a flush, turn the socket over and use a large drill bit by hand to make the hole tapered. I then used a countersunk allen head bolt inserted from the back so it was completely flush with the back of the plastic socket. Add a washer and locknut on the front and you now have a threaded bolt end sticking out of your plastic socket. I drilled out the ball on the end of the window arm and used washers either side along with another locknut to keep it all in place.

You now dont have the full manoeuvreability of a ball joint, but it seems to work fine and will never pop off! Be careful though as the joint popping out I assume was a safety feature too. If you get your window jammed when seting it up, the motor is very very strong & will try to bend parts if you arent careful.

Also that mech inside there could well chop your fingers off if not respected! I was messing around adjusting with my arm inside the door & the damned thing did its safety return. It prevents you getting fingers stuck in the window by dropping it a set distance, but once triggered you cant do anything till it has moved that set distance. Unfortunately I had my arm inside the PASSENGER door & the damned thing trapped my arm when it did its 'safety' move. Couldnt reach the keys to reset it.... hehehe! Took me quite a while do disconnect the electrical supply to it, with one arm being crushed and just one hand available. Could have been much worse if it was my fingers though!!!

Advert