Author Topic: 430 mirror switch  (Read 3928 times)

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: 430 mirror switch
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »
Clips.....what clips!!! I dont have any clips!

Hmmm, maybe thats why these were popping in the first place  ;D :o

What I ended up doing was cut off the front face of the plastic sockets so it is a flush, turn the socket over and use a large drill bit by hand to make the hole tapered. I then used a countersunk allen head bolt inserted from the back so it was completely flush with the back of the plastic socket. Add a washer and locknut on the front and you now have a threaded bolt end sticking out of your plastic socket. I drilled out the ball on the end of the window arm and used washers either side along with another locknut to keep it all in place.

You now dont have the full manoeuvreability of a ball joint, but it seems to work fine and will never pop off! Be careful though as the joint popping out I assume was a safety feature too. If you get your window jammed when seting it up, the motor is very very strong & will try to bend parts if you arent careful.

Also that mech inside there could well chop your fingers off if not respected! I was messing around adjusting with my arm inside the door & the damned thing did its safety return. It prevents you getting fingers stuck in the window by dropping it a set distance, but once triggered you cant do anything till it has moved that set distance. Unfortunately I had my arm inside the PASSENGER door & the damned thing trapped my arm when it did its 'safety' move. Couldnt reach the keys to reset it.... hehehe! Took me quite a while do disconnect the electrical supply to it, with one arm being crushed and just one hand available. Could have been much worse if it was my fingers though!!!

Thats a good idea Drew, if I need to make any mods to the mech I know what to do now. And I nearly got caught out with the scissors as well, I pulled my hand out sharpish and got a bit of a gash from the door metal but could have been worse like you say.

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 430 mirror switch
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
You have to be careful with the bolt length and the height of the nuts. When it is at full up position, there isnt much room & if you make it too long it will stop the window going all the way up.

I also found that to get the top of the window to touch the rubbers, the bottom needs to be right out (on the 430 I will be cutting a long flap into the bottom of the pug outer door skin to allow more movement). If the window binds before it gets to the bottom stop, it then takes force to lift the window. If this force is too much it gets into a cycle going quickly up and down and gets all confused. Too damned intelligent for its own good! I added a physical stop to the sliders before the window gets to the lowest position to prevent this.

Ideally you should stay with the standard pug set up of balls etc, but if yours is worn (or no clips!!!  ;D ) and new ones dont sort it, this is a way to get it working. Its not an officially recommended method etc, just how i found to get it done!  ;D (phew - disclaimer out of the way)

I also spaced the winder mecahnism away from the door by about 20mm at the lock end. I put it on an adjustable bolt so I could play and find the best spacer.

Also I found that to ge the roller slider angled enough for the window to touch the rubbers at the top, I had to cut the door lock electrical connection plug to allow enough clearance.

Reasonable stuff, just takes lots of fiddling, lots of swearing and your hands and arms look like you are into self harming by the time you have finished.. :o The next lot on my 430 should be a breeze now I know what to do! Heheheh!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:11:42 PM by Drew355 »

Advert