Author Topic: AIG1355 Tarting Up Diary  (Read 30204 times)

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
AIG1355 Tarting Up Diary
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
Its time I started on my improvements which I have been planning for a few years and gathering various items for the process. I have no idea how long this is going to take as I get very little spare time however, today I managed to get an hour to do some investigative work in the garage before I start butchering my pride-n-joy.

Ist job is to fit a genuine F355 rear grill. At first I thought I would have to cut this down as it is wider than the Extreme engine cover. But on investigation, the genuine car has the rear grill fixed to the top of the rear light grill/Panel unlike the Extreme where this black area is part of the rear engine cover so I wll not have to trim the OEM part put re-work the engine cover and rear end of the car slightly. I discovered today that the tailgate has split between the inner and outer skins so I've got to fix that in anycase.

The next job is to fit the replica interior. I've had an Extreme replica interior for a few years gathering dust in the garage while I sourced gauges etc.

I have a feeling my car will miss out on the 2011 season this time.

HeyHo.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:06:58 PM by AIG1355 »

heresjonny

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: AIG155 Tarting Up Diary
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
Nice... get the pics up when you make progress.... I'm especially interested in the rear grill... I think my interior will have to wait until next winter....lol  ;D

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
Re: AIG1355 Tarting Up Diary
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
Well work has commenced (eventually).

Starting with a cambelt change. Engine out for that one! and the clutch as now not working as has been sat for 12 months in the garage gone nowhere this year.

Then its sort out the front wheels rubbing on full lock and investigate the possibility of hanging the rear exhaust box in the boot section.

If the guys are brave enough, then its the Extreme 355 interior and OEM gauges that I have had sat around for donkeys.

Rich

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:36:01 PM by AIG1355 »

smash

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
Engine out for cam belt change - blimey!

Are there any pics of a finished Extreme replica interior anywhere?

Good luck with recomissioning - I've got nowhere so far!

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »
Hi,

I've never seen any. I've only ever seen 1 extreme 355 (the only MR2 replica I've seen too) with a replica interior and that was his own made from scratch and looks fab. Nick 355 on this site. he also used OEM gauges (clever sod).

Rich
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:49:00 PM by AIG1355 »

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Well, engines back in after a full service and a new cambelt and also a new clutch fitted while everything was out even if it was just the master cylinder. It all runs sweet now.

Work has started on the front wheel clearance issue on full lock. Knocking the inner bulkhead area back is not an option as it will harm the integrity of the car in an accident, I was also told that it could weaken the inner arch area so much that a bad pothole could end up with collapsed suspension?

So, the inner arch bulkhead area is being cut out and moved backward and then welded up. The seam between the inner wing and bulkhead had been knocked back, this has been reinstated, again (I am told) because of potential structural rigidity issues in a collision.

The Interior kit and OEM gauges have been delivered to the workshop and the OEM rear grill which will be fixed in the correct area above the rear light panel and the rear deck lid cut back to accommodate.

I will take some pics when there is something worth while to look at.

Rich
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:43:42 PM by AIG1355 »

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »
Fitting the OEM rear grill worth doing. Are you going to fix the grill to thebootlid. or the rear light panel ?

I ask because I found it works out neater by fixing it to a non moving panel.

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
Fitting the OEM rear grill worth doing. Are you going to fix the grill to thebootlid. or the rear light panel ?

I ask because I found it works out neater by fixing it to a non moving panel.

Hi Nick,

The grill will be fitted to the light panel. It needs a slight mod as its a couple of inches wider than the opening so will be bent at right angles at each end I guess which will give extra fixing points. The boot lid will be reworked to accommodate the grill when closed by chopping out the black area with the badge on.

Cheers

Rich

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
Not much progress upon my last visit to the workshop as the guys are busy and mine is just fitted in as and when they are quiet. Took a few shots where they have started to clean away the underseal in readiness for cutting out the inner arch area on one side. The dash has to come out before any restructuring and welding up is done.

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »
Hey Rich any progress on your pride and joy, we need some pics lol cheers jd

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
Hi,

There is progess but I've been unable to take any pics. The car has now moved from the workshop seen in the pics to their bodyshop and I don't get down there. Its had the roof painted as the paint started crazing and there was a small crack where the roof joint is on the offside at the top edge of the rear quarter window. The crack has been ground back a fair way and re-bonded and filled.

They are only now tackling the front inner arches as the workshop got too busy. They are fitting it in around oher jobs. I'll try to get down there next month wih the camera. Its in High Wycombe and I'm in Huddersfield but I travel there each month on business. Hopefully, when it leaves the bodyshop it will be heading right back to the workshop for them to carry on with the other bits providing they have the time. They're doing it all as a favour so I'm not pressing for timescales.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:35:11 PM by AIG1355 »

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
Well...............its been a while and I still have no pics as yet but the front wheels now clear the inner arches. Next Job, the Extreme 355 dash and OEM gauges.

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »
Wow rich, nice to see you are getting there  you must get some pics off them to show us when you do the dash cheers jd

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »
Can't believe I started this topic in 2011 :o

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 12:11:44 AM »
lol 2011, that's nothing :-) mine was 2008. Although, by the time you have finished tarting it up it will be time to start again. hehe.

Love the pics, keep em coming.

Steve

Advert