Author Topic: Donor cutting  (Read 3836 times)

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Donor cutting
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:30:56 PM »
I seem to remember some people saying that when cutting the 406 there are some areas where the cuts are close to wires or pipes etc (i.e inside the sill or in the a-pillar?). Can those who have already done the cutting offer any advice for when to go cautiously and when its ok to break out my new plasma cutter!!? Im not ready for cutting yet, but it may help others if we make a note of where to be careful. I will try to add photos of these areas & what to expect once the cuts are done when I start my build.

fletch100

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Donor cutting
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »
when cutting from the rear quarter window staight back i nicked the small fuel line that goes over the top make sure this is out the way although not too much to repair of you were to cut it.

XPERT360

• Extreme Owner
    • MSN Messenger - buddyrees@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »
Ye thats one area, but this is just a breather pipe that runs to the carbon filter thats tucked under the front drivers side wing.
The other place to look out for is deffo the windscreen pillar. Its tight up against the dash. so a slither of timber here would be good.
Also I seem to remember it being tight with the inner front wing and the power steering fluid reservoir.
Youll know the areas when you start to dismantle things Drew.
Have you bought the 406 yet??? Cant wait to see this one. Whats your plans with the 355. A two Super car house hold?? :D :D

waz j

• ever seen a plumber turn up in a 360 keep watchin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »
when chopping of the exhaust back box with a 9" angle grinder watch the handbrake cable oh tits to late

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:45:06 PM »
Ye thats one area, but this is just a breather pipe that runs to the carbon filter thats tucked under the front drivers side wing.
The other place to look out for is deffo the windscreen pillar. Its tight up against the dash. so a slither of timber here would be good.
Also I seem to remember it being tight with the inner front wing and the power steering fluid reservoir.
Youll know the areas when you start to dismantle things Drew.

Have you bought the 406 yet??? Cant wait to see this one. Whats your plans with the 355. A two Super car house hold?? :D :D

Its already a two nice car household so the 355 and 430 should add 2 supercar to that!!! There is the other halves series 2 lotus elise 111S & I have the 308 on the drive. The 355 and 406 are down the side of the house. I have had the 406 for about 2 years now, used it for 12 months to check it out & it has been in storage waiting for the 430 kit!! Its a 99 S reg 3L with full service hist, mint condition full leather a/c etc etc.

(I have a classic mini and bandit 600 in the garage being rebuilt which are currently stopping any kit building)

Its not a big house but I have a bit of room for cars & a g/f that has been taught to like cars & is quite a petrolhead (well as far as a bird can be)

This is the shot I like of my drive!!!! (Such a shame the yellow one isnt a permanent fixture!!!!)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:11:07 AM by Drew355 »

coughinblood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:36:32 PM »
Wow.. Thats a good collection already!

clones r us

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 04:49:17 PM »
With the fuel breather pipe dont wory it will probably melt up in the windscreen pillar when you weld up the cut, dont stress simply replace the pipe ( auto factors will supply it take a cut off down to size it) you can re route it within the sill cover on the drivers side, its totally simple, and works a treat, it conects up then at the rear of the drivers front arch in the breather canister !!  hope it helps, be more carefull of the wires in the drivers foot well, when you weld up the innner wings etc after youve hit them back , if youve rain sensors etc, watch out for the small wires up the front screen pillars, no other real issues,

fletch100

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
how far back do they need beating roughly? with my spacers on they foul up very easy i do need to reduce the size of my spacers just dont know how much. they are 115mm at the moment on 3 series bmw fitment

clones r us

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:01:45 AM »
just knock them back until you get the required clearence then weld it up if the seams part at all, its just bit by bit process, bear with it

fileferret

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 11:46:19 PM »
when chopping of the exhaust back box with a 9" angle grinder watch the handbrake cable oh tits to late

LOL....Love it.

Advert