Author Topic: Shipping costs  (Read 2142 times)

David O Kelly

• View Profile
Shipping costs
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
Hey Lads,

Anyone know roughly if you were to get a kit from America, how much would the shipping costs be to UK/Ireland.? Was looking at the Car Kit Inc Mercy 2.

Cheers  ;)

Tekkigizmo

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping costs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
Hi David,
It all depends on several factors, is it from the west or east coast of America, is it going to be shipped in its own container or share a container with other items, how much will it weigh, what is the volume and is it by surface or air cargo? All of these have an effect on the cost. I cannot give you a rough price but to ship a car from the east coast it's about £2/3K from the west coast it's about £3.5/4.5k, by air it's a whole lot more. A car is not heavy in container terms, plus if you are in the uk you will have to consider import duty and vat. A good idea would be to contact the company and ask, they may have exported one of their kits before.
 Regards, Cliff.

Tekkigizmo

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »
A word of caution.
Although the cost of this kit sounds like a bargin on the surface it is more than likely not the case.
£3000 inc vat + any import duty for the no top + shipping, add £750-£1000 if you want a roof.
I have seen this type of kit before and have known people take 4-5 years to try and build one, without success.
Do you get the metal framework with the kit if not you will have to make it yourself plus if you want the no top version you need to strengthen the donor car chassis to reduce scuttle shake and stop it folding in half in an accident. You might save £2500 on the kit but you will spend that and much more buying bits that are included in an extreme kit
I know the extreme kit is not cheap and it will take some time to finish and will cost a lot of money but you have a realistic chance of finishing it. The American kit is likely to take you years to finish if ever and cost a lot more money in the long run.
Help and support is always handy, is it available with the American kit when you need it, yes you could ask on here but if it is specific to the American kit you will have to ask them.
I do not work for extreme and if I knew of another comparable kit I would tell you.

David O Kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »
Cheers Tekkigozmo for the info,

Don't get me wrong the Extreme kit is by far the best kit out there, was just thinking of a cheaper option but your probably right could cost me a fortune in the long run  :(

Advert