Author Topic: Ferrari Fuel/oil cap  (Read 3843 times)

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ferrari Fuel/oil cap
« on: July 17, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
Made the mould for this a while ago. Wasnt worth mixing any stuff up for just one, so was just waiting for me to have some clear gelcoat and resin leftover from another job.

I tried some of the aluminium powder additive (used approx 50% ratio) so the surface has a metallic look. I think it needs to be a lighter shade next time. Apparantly you can polish the gelcoat o enhance the aluminium effect, but i havent tried it yet. I wanted to be able to leave it without painting as the text would loose detail.

There is the odd small bubble on the lower edge, but not a bad first attempt, what do you think?

MartyWebb

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ferrari Fuel/oil cap
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
Nice work, I'm working on a few things with moulds too, for the 360 atm.

Good to see other peoples work :)

dman1409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
Looks nice!! I'm interested in one!!

Can you pm me price?!

Cecil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »
Looks nice!! I'm interested in one!!

rascal360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
id like one too. I can see a small production line coming on.

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
Forum is getting busier now so thought I would add my update on the fuel/oil caps.

I didnt want to sell any of the last ones I made as after I did a few more mouldings I couldnt get the top surface to come out perfectly flat and the latex mould seemed to stick to the resin. It seems if you use latex over a metal former it causes problems and doesnt give you a smooth finish. Also the uneven surface was due to the latex being too flexible and didnt stay on the former I made.

So time for version 2 using a silicone mould!

Result is much much better, holds the shape nicely and gives a really nice smooth finish.

So im much happier with these and the 'production line' is up and running  ;D , if anyone wants one give me a shout.

The first pic shows them as they come out of the mould, second is after it has had a quick polish. More pics soon once i get it on a buffing wheel. The material has 60% aluminium powder in it, so it polishes like metal, you just need to rub the surface down to expose the metal which is combined with the resin. It goes all black just like aluminium does when you polish and then needs buffing. This first one I scuffed off with a scotch pad first which was too coarse so there are still a few scratches after polishing.
I can also do them in plain gelcoat if you would rather paint them.

Lamborghini fuel cap and properly drilled headlight bezels next!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:35:12 PM by Drew355 »

DB5F360

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 06:59:44 PM »
Pm sent too you Drew

Thanks Dan

bruno22rf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »
Tried to pm you about one of these but something went wrong  >:(-are these for the MR2 and if so how much are you asking for one?-kind regards-Bruno.

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 03:52:27 PM »
Hi, sorry no updates, I have been mad busy recently.
Photo shows the caps on a MK2 MR2 fuel cap. The outer cover (the bit that makes the clicking noise when you have tightened the cap) has been removed and if I make the cap with just gelcoat and no fibreglass reinforcing, there is enough space for it to slide over the top. It would then need bonding in place.

The cap for the peugeot has a bigger top with the securing tabs on the outside, so you cant reduce it down. This cover has to sit on top of the peugeot cap, so it looks great when fitted, but a little more bulky when off the car. This one can have fibreglass inside to strengthen no probs.

My cam is being a pain at the moment, so apologies Dan, but pics for the pug one will be up here later this aft. I am assuming you will be wanting both with fibreglass reinforcing inside so I have them sat waiting. Just need you to confirm and let me know the delivery add & will get them sent over to you mate.

Have PM'd you back now Bruno 

Advert