Author Topic: Plexiglass  (Read 2274 times)

ryanfox92

• View Profile
    • Email
Plexiglass
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
Hello everyone. Looks like I'm gonna be ordering a 360 kit very soon! Gonna order the kit, suspension kit, and window set. Is the plexiglass any good? I'm guessing its good quality but just wanna know others opinions on it. And also, if anyone is selling any parts for the 360 let me know, i may be interested! Cheers, Ryan.

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plexiglass
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
From what I have read up on this, I think that some builders would prefer to have real glass as apposed to plexi
I don't think there is any real problem with plexi.
Hopefully someone with experience will confirm

ryanfox92

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
Hi mate. Yeah i would prefer real glass for the car, but plexiglass seems the only option. Cheers Ryan.

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »
Hi Ryan ,the plexi glass is gud quality the only small probs iv heard of were when driving at speed when trying to put your window back up it doesn't always seal properly , if Drew comes on he will give a gud opinion as he has fitted a few I believe , as for glass there is no straight bolt in available the nearest option is the Audi a3 2 door glass but there is quite a bit of work involved to fit this ,there is a couple of pages in my build dairy on this as I fitted them on my car .cheers jd

ryanfox92

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »
Cheers jd will have a look through you build diary again mate. Yours nearly done mate? Its looking really good!

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:48:39 AM »
Hi, yep I have fitted several sets of windows now for builders. As JD says there is nothing wrong with the plexi, it is the fact it is a pillarless door that causes the problem when combined with the plexi which in its nature is slightly flexible.
Other issues are that the pug (as with most 'new' cars these days) learns the window position & relies on a force feedback to set its upper and lower positions. With it being pillarless it also drops a cm or so when the door latch is operated so it clears the rubbers. All this can be a bit tricky to set up with the new runner positions etc. I have lost count of the number of hours I have spent with my arms inside these damned doors working blind! Oh & make sure you have someone within earshot when you do, as if the car suddenly senses too much pressure when you are adjusting it does the safety 'full window drop' which will trap both your arms & have your fingers if they are in the scissor part of the mech. Can you guess how I know this!  :o
The angle of the window is also greater to allow for the lower roof, so the bottom of the window needs to push out to where the side impact bar was in the door.

As JD said, they will flex if opened a few cm at motorway speeds, not a lot, but enough so they dont seat back into the top when closed if still at speed. You just need to wait till you slow to close them unfortunately. Its not an issue & no adjustment will change them, its just something you have to live with when you have plexi side windows.

Main advice i would give is not to treat the side windows as a last job, make sure you get them done early before the outer skin of your door is bonded, that gives you the best chance to get them right & the best access possible. Also get the door handles and latches done and working at the same time, as with the window in the right place the levers etc are very close to the window.

Sorry I havent done any of the A3 windows, JD is your man for those!

Advert