Author Topic: Headlights failed MOT  (Read 2540 times)

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Headlights failed MOT
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »
My car recently failed on MOT on the headlight:

Offside front (no pattern) Headlamp excessively deteriorated so that the light output is severly reduced.

I only need to fix this for it to pass the mot, anybody have a clue on how to fix this?

ryanfox92

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Headlights failed MOT
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
Anything a bit of special headlight restorer cant do?

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
Would something like this be any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Projector-Headlight-Headlamp-Dip-Low-Beam-Bike-Kitcar-Custom-Trike-Streetfighter-/321396909071?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ad4bfa40f

I used something similar on my DNA360. You just need to work out an adjuster plate.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:52:09 PM by CdRsKuLL »

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »
Hi gto most of the time if it's Poor condition it's down to the condition of the chrome on the reflector wich you would hav to change , also possibly bulb in wrong way can give you wrong or no pattern hope this helps cheers jd

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
Ok thanks for the advice guys, I might have to get a new projector in that case then as the lightbulb is the right way round.

That means taking the light unit apart with a dremel :(

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »
Had to do this on a build I had in, go slowly and carefully with the dremel! I made a groove almost through & then used a wide screwdriver to gently crack the bonder so i didnt end up going right through. The projectors on the one I was doing had been disassembled, the blind had been turned the other way up and reassembled. So the light pattern ended up pointing into the traffic and into the sky & the road was blanked off! Someone didnt pay attention in physics at school when they were teaching how light patterns behave!
You should be able to just put a fixed projector unit in as the extreme headlight has those long screws and balljoints for adjusting both main and dip at the same time.
Long shot, but does the light unit steam up? Maybe try having a look inside the projector with the bulb out, the lense at the end may be dirty on the inside reducing light output?

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
Thanks for the tip Drew, I reckon I will replace the projector with a new one and that way I know it will be correct for the mot.

Advert