Author Topic: Mickey_London's Build Diary  (Read 195443 times)

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mickey_London's Build Diary
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
Decided it was time for me to build a kit-car or replica
Trawled the internet to find something I liked, and would enjoy building
Found The eXtreme 360 and fell in love with it

And so it began. . . . . . . .

March 23rd 2014

Joined The Extreme Owners Club

March 26th 2014

Travelled up to Peterborough to purchase a W reg V6 D9, with electric everything, cruise control and only 78000 miles on the clock. She flew home. I was impressed with the performance.

April 5th 2014

I renewed the Cam belt and tensioners.

Fixed the passenger electric seat. Would not move back or forwards, a wire had broken off of one of the micro switches, I just stripped it back and soldered it back on. Bingo  ;D

I removed the exhaust, had to get the reciprocating saw to it as I could not undo all of the nuts. Anyway, I cut the exhaust off, removed the two cat’s that are not monitored, welded in some new stainless pipes and then welded up the exhaust where I had to cut it to remove it.
Went back sweet as and no blows, that was a relief

Spent the next few weeks reading lots of build diaries, looking at the pictures and having many nights dreaming of being in my garage

May 6th 2014

Took a trip to Hull, with the wife, had to make her feel part of it, as she will not see me for months when I get the kit  ;)
Met the eXtreme boys, spent about 5 hours there talking about what plans they had for the future, how my kit will be made, how to do certain aspects of the build.
Very passionate about their work, great couple of blokes
Put down the deposit, yeah the game is on

Bought 19” wheels and tyres, wing badges, bonnet badge, indicator lights, side lights, oh and a nice new key ring  ;D

June 15th 2014

Made a start on the project, front bumper, headlights and both front wings

Cut and welded up near side sill for the new door to open into, this was measured 5” from the front of the sill and 7.5”

June 20th 2014

Stripped the back end and marked out the rear wings and spare wheel  well for cutting
Using my trusty Angle Grinder went at it like a man possessed  :P

Removed the bonnet, wiper arms, windscreen rubber and windscreen scuttle panel.
Stripped out the wiper motor ready to mark and cut out the top of the bulk head.

June 22nd 2014

Removed (smashed) the rear screen, covered the whole inside of the screen with gaffer tape, cut away the screen rubber and the popped it with an automatic centre punch. Then covered the whole of the outside of the screen with gaffer tape, and removed the screen without getting too much glass everywhere. Taped up the remains of the glass that is bonded, just so not to cut my little pinkies  :o

June  24th 2014

Removed the parcel shelf, roof skin and C’ Posts.

June 27th 2014

Tool arrived to remove the Windscreen, got all the way round perfect, then about  7” away from the bottom Near Side corner CRACK— bo&^#x.
I didn’t see the two little upstands on the scuttle panel. This kicked up the tool and you now know the rest.
Oh well must crack on ( boom boom ), removed screen,  marked out for the cuts on the A’Posts, the B’Posts and the two brace panels running across the roof.
Checked all of the measurement umpteen times, then made all the cuts.
Once all the cuts were done, I got my ratchet straps and pulled down the B’Post to the correct position. Welded up and did the other side the exact same way.

June 29th 2014

Finished of the welding round the two B’Posts, cut the excess off of the brace panels and welded them up as well

To be continued..........
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 08:56:17 PM by Mickey_London »

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Mickey_London's Build Diary
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
Hey mickey Great start great job so far  brings back memories lol ,nice to show these as It will give anyone interested an idea of what's to do before fitting the panels ,good welding  keep up the gud work and keep the pics coming cheers jd

phils99

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:50:57 AM »
wow! fantastic progress mate!

Looking very professional and clean on those cuts and welds!

Just need to get that big box section frame in.

Dont know if the Extreme boys showed you or mentioned it, but, when they did my welding for me, they also welded in some brackets at the rear of the box section frame to take a Ferraris exhaust system...not sure if you are going that way...
I wish I was rich!!

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »
Cheers guys
Not going to go down the root of a genuine exhaust. Was going to make one up like xpert360's

Back to it..........

July 1st 2014

Started on the sills today, so that my new wheels will fit.
I have got 19” wheels with 225x35 tyres on the fronts and 285x35 on the backs

Cut back from the front of the outer sill around 30mm, then cut the inner sill so that they were roughly level, made up some plates and welded them in. Gave them a lick of primer. Will seam seal all the welds once all the welding is complete

I also started to cut, knock back and weld the seams of the inner wings for more clearance, do I need to go higher than where I am pointing to ?

And Off Side

Once both sides were completed I then cut out the bulkhead for the wiper motor. Will trim it all to size once I have the brackets

DB5F360

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »
Some good progress being made Mate well done keep the pics coming

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »
Hey Mickey, by the looks of this build so far you will end up with an awesome car ,the standard of welding the fact that you are priming everything great job , as for the wheel arch it will depend on how low you go, on mine I cut it back quite a bit more the best thing to do is wait till you get your suspension on and wheels then check to see how much clearance you hav ,cheers jd  ps, like dan says keep the pics coming

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:28:18 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments
As for the inner wheel arch I think I will wait until I get the suspension set up to see how much more needs to be removed.
JD will you be going to Donington for the Kitcar show, if so, will your car be ready  :P
I can't really do much more until I receive the kit, hopefully it will be ready near the end of this month. I will be on annual leave then so should be able to crack on
Mick

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »
Hi mickey ,I'm pushing hard to get it ready for donnington show but realy busy at work and I hav 2 weeks holls before then but that's my target, I will be going to the show with or with out the car tho  cheers jd
 Any word on a date for your kit yet .

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
No word on a date for my kit, hopefully soon.
Bought a new clutch kit, so at least I have something to get on with on my next days off.
Not sure if I should leave the driveshafts out after as I will need them extended.
Do extreme extend them while you wait :-)
Mick
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:06:21 PM by Mickey_London »

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
Over the last couple of days, I have managed to get my gearbox out, so I can change the clutch.

3 things to remember :-

1. Dont do this on the hottest days of the year in direct sunlight. I think I have lost half my body weight in perspiration  ::)
2. The subframe is heavier then expected.
3. Always make sure your thumbs are out of the way when removing heavy bits  :'(

Anyway whilst I have the gearbox out I have renewed the oil seals on the diff, the gearbox front oil seal  + clutch bearing guide tube.
And as I have the subframe removed I may as well renew the rubber boots that sit on the top and bottom of the mounting points. That's if they can be bought. A trip to the main dealer I expect.

Oooooh shiney shiney

Now all I have to do is put it all back together............. Tomorrow

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
Well it is gonna be over 30 degrees C tomorrow in London Mick, so I hope you've got plenty of towels! LOL

Seriously - great build and good work. Been following it for a while and look forward to your updates.

I've just finished a DNA 430 and look forward to seeing your car one day.

Good luck

Paul

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
Thanks Paul
Too hot today, will pop out this evening when it's cooled down, even if I just get the box back on and bolted up.
Do you have a build diary, if so send me the link please so I can have a read.
Cheers
Mick
Ps I'm in Kent,  London is my nickname at work, because I was Stationed in London before I transferred to Kent  8)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 12:03:43 AM »
Hey Mick, great photos and detail. Looking forward to the next update.

Steve

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
A little update today

Got a little present from the postman today

Fingers crossed should get another one from him tomorrow  ;D

Oh... gearbox all back in and all working fine
Great build diary there Paul, read it over 3 days, you have a beaut of a car Matey, nice detailing
Mick

Advert