Author Topic: Mickey_London's Build Diary  (Read 195819 times)

360brian

• View Profile
Re: Mickey_London's Build Diary
« Reply #780 on: May 15, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
Congratulations Mickey.

Now back to the boys toys, thats lookng good. So few Extreme 360s have a decent H gate. You've the console too. Need to do this on mine..

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #781 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
Thanks Guys, but if we have another night like last night then he will be going back  ???
Haha
Mick

Brillo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #782 on: May 16, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
Boys spend 9 months trying to get out and the rest of their lives trying to get back in.  :D

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #783 on: May 16, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »
Haha nice one  ;D
Mick

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 16, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
Hi mickey , guys , Oem centre console finished and fitted , but it's been raining all day so next nice day I will give her a wash and take a few pics cheers jd

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #785 on: May 16, 2017, 10:34:37 PM »
That looks a lot better then it was when I posted it up to you  :P
Thanks JD
Mick

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 17, 2017, 12:13:05 AM »
Hi mickey , guys , Oem centre console finished and fitted , but it's been raining all day so next nice day I will give her a wash and take a few pics cheers jd
Wow, that looks seriously good, and authentic looking! superb work.  Is that a new gear stick shaft welded on? the H gate is spot on too. I need mine done just like that, don't need much done to my car- but that work looks top notch!!!

If you have a free slot in the next 10 months, can I book mine in for this (pm me), thanks

Sparx01

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »
Congrats Mick on the family addition.

Car is looking mint, how long do think it will take to sort the interior once you get it back?

Tone

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #788 on: May 18, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »
Thanks Tone
I havent got that much to do, interior wise.
Just seats, headlining and carpeting.
I have a company making the rear bulkhead screen out of Lexan and safety marking it for the IVA.
From what I can see the Challenge Stradale is very basic inside, but I am hoping to have a bit more luxurious look when finished. Probably all black with the headlinig a dark grey suede. I've seen an Audi like this and it looked the nuts
My fake engine is just about ready to go in. Just make up a bracket.
I am also going to redo my fuel filler pipe work. I have it going down the inner wheel arch, on the outside. I don't like it and think it is unsafe, so going to re-route it inside with some metal pipework
I think a good month, if that, and it should be ready for booking up the IVA
When I get it back I will be able to see what else, but there isn't that much
Mick

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 18, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »

Mick

IVA??

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #790 on: May 19, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »

Mick

IVA??

Is that a ' what's an IVA ' or ' why are you having an IVA '
Mick  ;)

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 19, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »

Mick

IVA??
Is that a ' what's an IVA ' or ' why are you having an IVA '
Mick  ;)

Its a "why, rather than a "what".  In Ireland there was no such thing, so I obtained a full engineers report (needed for modified cars). I've now imported my 360 to the UK. From what I read about IVA and SVA (assume that to be the earlier version), they can be a mine field.

mag

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »
i didn't think you needed an SVA/IVA for the 360 or 430  :(

Did you get one for yours JD

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: May 19, 2017, 09:49:11 PM »
As far as I know, only the forum member Lacie has put his car through the IVA. It passed  ;D
I don't like the idea of having my car seized because it is incorrectly registered.
I have read the IVA manual. From what I can make out its not that bad if you have built your car with safety in mind, used the correct materials, safety etched glass/lexan. Little things like tethered fuel caps
I will make sure the measurements are correct when I fit my seats. Adjustable headlights

The thing I will worry about will be the exhaust dB, mine is pretty loud

If Lacie comes on he maybe able to add to this
Forgot to ask Lacie, did you get another reg after it passed or a Q plate
As I have also read if it is a radically altered vehicle it will need an IVA and will be issued a Q
Or was it classed as a kit conversion and issued an age related reg
Mick
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:12:04 PM by Mickey_London »

Lacie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #794 on: May 19, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »
Forgot to ask Lacie, did you get another reg after it passed or a Q plate
As I have also read if it is a radically altered vehicle it will need an IVA and will be issued a Q
Or was it classed as a kit conversion and issued an age related reg
Mick

RAV and Kit Conversions/Kit Cars can be issued with age related plates or Q plates depending on the vehicle. Q plates are issued if the DVLA can’t properly ascertain the age or identity of the vehicle. This isn’t really a problem with the Extreme 360 and 430 kits (provided you have photos and receipts etc - its why I have the build diary, it helps immensely). Once you have the IVA certificate, you have to submit that to the DVLA along with a built up vehicle report, any photos of the build and as many receipts as you can muster.

The DVLA work on a points system so the more parts from the original car you keep, the higher the points and the more likely you’ll be issued with an age related plate. Points are awarded for unmodified Chassis, Axles, Transmission, Steering, Suspension and Engine. If the chassis remains unmodified you can apply to keep the original registration but because we modify the monocoque you have to apply for an age related plate instead.

Since the extreme cars retain the original Axle, Transmission, Steering, Suspension (we do change the suspension but we don’t alter it) and Engine you have more than enough points for an age related plate - provided you can provide receipts, pictures etc. You’ll only receive a Q plate if they feel something is “off”, in that they can’t verify the identity of the original vehicle or too much has been changed that it doesn't have enough points (remember to get a VIN plate stamped and attach it under the bonnet before your IVA!). I received an age related plate from the DVLA with a new V5 but I’ve since changed it over to my personal plate.

As for the exhaust, if its too loud then I’d weld a silencer into the mid pipe. Once its passed the IVA, just replace the mid pipe…  ;)

As for the IVA itself, all of the Extreme kits require an IVA with the exception perhaps of the 355 - I’m not sure how the original car is modified for that kit.

The monocoque chassis is considered by the DVLA to contain the true identity of the vehicle. If you modify the monocoque, the vehicle looses its identity and must go through an IVA to be given a new identity. Years ago, it used to be that you could modify fore or aft of the suspension points without requiring one but its changed to include “modifying the chassis either in between the standard suspension points or fore and aft of these”

I admit its a complete ballache with the paperwork, it costs stupid money for the IVA, you have to get your car transported to and from the centre, and then you have to deal with the DVLA who seem to struggle with anything beyond simple requests. But its nowhere near as bad as it sounds because most of the original car is still in place so a lot of the IVA doesn’t really count. Its just small things like exhaust, windows, lights etc. Its worth it because if the vehicle is not correctly registered “the owner commits an offence every time the vehicle is used on the road” and can have the vehicle seized or the V5 withdrawn.

I know the above from personal experience - I was involved in an accident in a modified vehicle years ago. What started as a smallish bump spiralled completely out of control. It ended up in magistrates court and I was charged with driving without insurance, driving without an MOT and dangerous driving (driving knowing that the vehicle had no SVA (the old IVA) so I was “driving with total disregard for the safety of myself and other road users”). I should add that my car did have a valid MOT and was insured but because the vehicle had no SVA, they are considered null and void. I ended up with a £1,200 fine, 13 points, banned for 12 months and my car was seized and destroyed.

I admit, I was young and full of attitude, and I have a lot of tattoos so I probably didn’t give the best impression to the magistrate.  ;D

Someone else might never get pulled, might be in an accident and everything is fine. Its a lottery and its up to you if you want to play or not. I’ve spent around 15k building my car so far and I just didn’t want to risk anything.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:47:11 PM by Lacie »

Advert