Author Topic: engine sound  (Read 3104 times)

ian2mm

• View Profile
engine sound
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
Hi everyone just wondering is there any good tips to get a close to realistic sound from the v6 engine in the pug

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: engine sound
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »
Hi Ian the sound of the v6 with a genuine ferrari exhaust is as close as you get in my opinion you can usually pick one up off eBay at a reasonable price ,if you look back at my build thread there is a link to you tube to the sound of mine  its on page 5 cheers jd
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:59:55 AM by ferrari360jd »

Amajuting

• View Profile
    • maxbet
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:47 AM »

Arguments should be put to very good use.

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »
Hi everyone just wondering is there any good tips to get a close to realistic sound from the v6 engine in the pug

My hot tip is to fit a vacuum actuated bypass valve between the downpipes and the first box, get a Y piece welded in, then a stubby exhaust to let the engine roar at higher revs. Here's one I fitted to my V6 355 replica, worked a treat. Prevous to that I experimented with electronically controlled ones, however the electric motors ended up failing.

I added a solenoid so I could have it stay at any level of opened I wanted, or just let it open up when the revs increased. Sams as they use of ferrari, if you're going to use a genuine back box, you could fit there, but personally I'd have it forward of the cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONx6FuOe7YE

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »

My hot tip is to fit a vacuum actuated bypass valve between the downpipes and the first box, get a Y piece welded in, then a stubby exhaust to let the engine roar at higher revs. Here's one I fitted to my V6 355 replica, worked a treat. Prevous to that I experimented with electronically controlled ones, however the electric motors ended up failing.

I added a solenoid so I could have it stay at any level of opened I wanted, or just let it open up when the revs increased. Sams as they use of ferrari, if you're going to use a genuine back box, you could fit there, but personally I'd have it forward of the cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONx6FuOe7YE

Nice, so is that straight through once the valve opens or do you have a cat / primary silencer before ?

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »
Nice, so is that straight through once the valve opens or do you have a cat / primary silencer before ?

Yes its straight through, no cat. When closed, its gas tight. No problem for the MOT (or NCT as they call it here in Ireland). Loud and rather nice in tunnels, but under control. Some added BHP when its open too (bonus). THis is the Camry 3L V6 Mr2 conversion y the way (engine behind)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf18qVAsEhc

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:27 PM »

Yes its straight through, no cat. When closed, its gas tight. No problem for the MOT (or NCT as they call it here in Ireland). Loud and rather nice in tunnels, but under control. Some added BHP when its open too (bonus). THis is the Camry 3L V6 Mr2 conversion y the way (engine behind)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf18qVAsEhc

Thats a great sound !  I do like the idea of it being vacumn actuated so it opens when you put your foot down. nice job.
Whats next on your list of things to do, or is it finished now ?

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »
Thats a great sound !  I do like the idea of it being vacumn actuated so it opens when you put your foot down. nice job.
Whats next on your list of things to do, or is it finished now ?

Thanks, the 355 finished and just sold.

I now have a lovely looking 360, my mission to make it go, as good as it looks

Filling the bay up with some genuine bits and pieces

I've quite a long list, about 10% through it. The electrics aren't as friendly as I'd hoped (lack of info on the internet about the 406 coupe wiring circuit diags and colour codes). A bypass valve is on my list for this V6 too, unfortunartely the Irish MOT think mine is too loud (sounds lovely)..peaks at a superb 112dBs, but I have to get it down to 95dBs :-(

Advert