Author Topic: door glass  (Read 4134 times)

ian2mm

• View Profile
door glass
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »
Hi everyone I would like to put real glass in doors I no jd has done it with a3 glass .I heard also someone was looking into a5 glass  but cant remember who does anyone no how they got on or if there is any other glass that could be used thanks

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: door glass
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
Hey Ian I believe it was dman who was looking into the a5 glass but don't think he got any further than an idea ,he seems to hav disappeared off all the sites at the min ,I looked at about 25 door glass,s ,the a3 lends itself the best as it had the frame and mechanism which  bolts in as one ,but it's not an easy swop although it is worth the time and effort in the end cheers jd

ian2mm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
Thanks jd what age a3 glass  and i guess its the 3 door one need to start looking for bits on ebay  .also  would you still be able to get brackets and splines ( have been reading your build thread)  :D

ian2mm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »
Hi everyone I will probably go down the same route as jd with the a3 glass but just wanted to ask is there anyone else looking at different glass options at mo or has jd exhausted all glass options  dman was looking at a5 which im told has a better curve on the top but is not a tried and tested alternative yet any thoughts anyone

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
Hi Ian,sorry for late reply just got back from holls , the door glass was from  a 1999 3 door Audi A3 it's not the easiest job to get just right but well worth it in the end ,iv sent you a pm with my tell no   Cheers jd

dman1409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:08:47 AM »
Hi!

Yes i was thinking about using the a5 glass but i am going to fit oem glass now!!

I have bought the metal oem strips where the rubber seals go in to... I use these as a reference to alter the a pillars correctly please see the pic below...

dman1409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:12:13 AM »

dman1409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »
Hi guys! The mail man came in today! I received my oem side glass.. I got these extremely cheap of ebay!

dman1409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:33:54 PM »
Here is a comparisson of the pug side glass vs oem..was pretty surprised the top curve isn't extremely far off!

Oem on top of pug

I traced the oem glass on the pug with a marker to get an idea of the differences.. Just for the heck of it... Lol

dman1409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »
Here is a comparisson of the oem glass on the audi glass ... I pointed my finger at where the edge of the audi glass is inside the rubber.. It is a bit hard to see on the pictures... I was happy to conclude that the curvature isn't that far off of the audi glass, which have been successfully used on various builds. So i think using oem side glass will be very doable!

dman1409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 11:51:51 PM »
Here are some shots of the top curvature... These look pretty manageable also! (Pug glass on the top)... Just to give you guys an idea! Cheers!

Oem glass on top:

Advert