Author Topic: Cerberus here we go.  (Read 156306 times)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
  • I dont know where Im going Ask me when I get there
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cerberus here we go.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 06:08:15 PM »
Before I started to strip down the turbo I decided to start stripping out the floor of the interior.
I'm glad I did because under the mats it was a swimming pool.
The sound deadening was saturated with water. Uuurrrccckkk.
The passenger seat was well fitted. It was held in place by one bolt. LOL :o
I'm going to refit new sound deadening and wash the carpets and mats.  
Piccies so far.

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
    • Acetech Security Limited
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
So, do you think that the car had been sitting for a long time, allowing moisture to deteriorate the turbine rotor?
The first decent run, and bang?
Very impressed that you stripped out the interior and found these probs, it indicates that there is leakage on some seals, and you have caught it before your feet went through the floor  ;D
Sounds like a serious check over, and decent service is required, were you planning to take it off the road for a bit anyway whilst you were doing the upgrades?

Cheers
Alex360

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »
Well it's off the road now. Now turbo as its in bits. No seats etc. so it's not going anywhere for a while.
I know where the leaks are. The door seals. Or lack of them more like. If you run the hose down them the water pours in  :o. Time for some new rubbers.
I'm going for a full service to include a cam belt. Lots of cleaning up to do. I'm going through the whole car. If there's anything I'm not happy with I'm going to change it.
What I need is a reliable car. If I want to drive it to Brighton and not worry about a break down.
The Previous owner ran out of money hence why it's wet and broken. I'm going to change that.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:05:46 PM by APDevelopments »

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »
Glad you found your engine problem
Bet that was a relief it was only the turbo, phew
Hope to see this car at some shows in the future

Mick

dangerrous

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 08:52:29 PM »
Here's an old thread that you might find interesting reading, this was a lovely Murci build, but in the end Yates detailed everything he felt was wrong with the car.... after he sold it. One thing that really irritated him were the door seals.

This should give you an idea of what to look for in your car

http://extremeoc.co.uk/index.php?topic=1998.msg15460#msg15460

You just need to follow the trail left by Yates
D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:55:19 PM by dangerrous »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
The one thing about any kit car is everybody does there car up to sell it. It sort of drives me crazy.
Why would you spend all your time and money for somebody else to enjoy.
You never make your money back so why do it.
I myself have loved Lamborghinis since birth. Posters of them on my bedroom walls right through my life.
But now I own one.  Yea ok it's a replica. Who cares. It's still my Lamborghini.
I will never sell it ever. The only time it gets sold is if I'm 6ft under.

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 10:50:33 PM »
re door seals, my cars with JD at the moment and he's found door seals from a bmw fit great. I'm over on Friday so will get some more info then for you.  He might post and let you know himself beforehand.

Have you found a replacement turbo?, I used to have a celica gt4 many moons a go that I accidentally dropped a small screwdriver into the turbo when I was changing the air filter.. didnt really notice any difference until the turbo had eaten all the plastic handle... then boom, no more turbo. I got it reconditioned at a place in Preston I think.

Steve

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
    • Acetech Security Limited
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2015, 07:34:48 AM »
The one thing about any kit car is everybody does there car up to sell it. It sort of drives me crazy.
Why would you spend all your time and money for somebody else to enjoy.
You never make your money back so why do it.
I myself have loved Lamborghinis since birth. Posters of them on my bedroom walls right through my life.
But now I own one.  Yea ok it's a replica. Who cares. It's still my Lamborghini.
I will never sell it ever. The only time it gets sold is if I'm 6ft under.

I agree completely, it is mad that people end up selling them for less than it cost in materials in the first place, I have seen several 360's for sale, completed, for the same money that I have spent on my part completed one!!
After all the work I have put in, it is part of my life spent on it, and something I will be proud of when completed, no plan to sell.......EVER  :)

Alex360

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »
Hi Ap pleased you found the problem with the turbo, looks like you are going to make a good job of sorting the probs on Cerberus ,as for the door seals I found that BMW 5 series front door seals fit great on Steve's Lambo hope this helps ,like you I can't understand why people sell what should be a life's  dream, I hav already refused silly money for my ferrari, but I luv ferraris  I have done since I was a little boy, and have no plans to sell mine , cheers jd.

Lamboswede

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »
great car you have there.
i wonder if you would like to post some pics on how your exhaust system looks like. how its built and how the extreme bracket is mounted?
cheers Daniel

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »
Make sure you find the rest that broke off as it can go into your engine you would be better off dropping the engine out and do the complete overhaul had to do it on my Lambo its a pig of a job and if you do make sure you replace the coolant lines that run above the fuel tank as they eventually leak the pipes from hell they call them as you have to drop the fuel tank. New clutch and flywheel new timing belt new water pump and piping new plugs new plug leads etc

I Add a Xspower manifold for more power and Xspower down pipe removed my cat as my car is exempt from emission here in Ireland

I Live my life a quater miles at a time.Nothing else matters Not the Morgage not the store not my team and all there bull****.For those ten seconds or less i'm free - Don Fast & Furious

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 12:01:56 AM »
I managed to get alittle work done on Cerberus today and the Sun was out.
I'm in the process of ripping out all the old wiring that has been fitted by its previous owners.
Returning it back to standard MR2 spec as much as possible.
I've really opened a can of worms by doing this strip down but it's urgently required.
Now through out my electrical career I've seen some bad wiring but I think the wiring in Cerberus is the worse I have ever seen.
It's amazing the car works at all and has not caught fire. Talk about twist and tape wires. No solider or heat shrink.
There's years of stereo changes, old alarms, under car lights. Etc etc.  every previous owner had there own ideas and its all aload of junk and it needs to go.
I'm not sure what's under the front bonnet in photo 2.. That white thing sticking up looks like a washer bottle. Hopefully you can enlighten me.
I have no idea why anybody would screw a fuse panel to a washer bottle.
Hopefully I can work out what's what and get it all sorted out. I've got my work cut out for sure.
A few piccies of the wiring mess that lurks under the covers.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:06:51 AM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 12:16:07 AM »
I managed to take some compression tests on Cerberus today.
I don't know what the actual targets are for a MR2 Turbo.
Hopefully you can tell me.
My compression results were.
Cylinder 1= 140psi. 2= 145psi 3= 140psi 4= 145psi.
Are these tests to spec?
My compression tester is very old. I've had it since the late 70s but it does still work well.

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
I've taken my dash apart and I have found some real serious problems but I will update later.
I've taken the dials apart and would like to know where I will be able to find replacement
plasma Lamborghini dials to fit the MR2?

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
Well it's about time I updated you with some more of Cerberus progress.
I've had a few free days this week so I have managed to make some progress.
The first bit of good news is that the Turbo has finally come off and has been sent away for reconditioning.
I needed help getting it off so I got a friend who happens to be a Truck fitter so to him getting this Hoover sized turbo was child's play. Half an hour later. Bang and the job is done.
I myself have un earthed some more worms with the cars electrics during the week. As I removed the instrument cluster from the dash board I found the biggest bodge up you would ever see. No wonder why nothing worked.
Why oh why would you cut off the multi plugs to solder a few directly to the cluster to get a few items to work. And just leave the rest cut with bare ends.
How this car survived without spontaneously combusting is just a miracle by its self.
The old cluster was a complete Wright off. And was only heading for the bin.
So I needed to find a suitable replacement with some of the loom and plugs supplied. After emailing every breakers on eBay one came back.
He had a MR2 TRD REV1 Turbo instrument cluster and was happy to give me the 3 plugs and a length of loom with it. Perfect.  I paid a substantial amount for it but within 2 days it was at my front door.
At this time I'm not worried about KMH on the speedo.
Then I found a bigger problem. The REV1 has a mechanical speedo. In the dash is a mechanical speedo coupling. But on the gear box is a electronic sensor. Another bodge. For some reason somebody cut the mechanical speedo and fitted a electronic sensor to the gearbox. This would explain what that telephone cable was doing down the back of the dash. It was connected to the sensor on the gearbox and bodge wired to the instrument cluster.
Getting a replacement mechanical drive back on the gearbox is going to be a task.  
More to follow on this.
Anyway With this terrible wiring I decided to go the whole hog and pull the dash board out. Mainly to check the rest of the loom. Which actually seems to be left untouched. Phew. Something origional.
So it's quite bare inside now.  :o but I need to get the car back to basic MR2 as much as possable before I add any trimmings and gadgets.
I managed to have a few hours spare to solder and heat shrink the instrument cluster plugs back on to the origional loom. 38 wires in total.  I feel like a BT engineer. LOL

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:21:17 PM by APDevelopments »

Advert