Author Topic: Cerberus here we go.  (Read 155745 times)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cerberus here we go.
« Reply #435 on: November 06, 2016, 10:03:34 PM »
ADP, i must say your progress and build are fantastic. i have been following it from the start very closely. very well done. looking forward to seeing this car in 2017 at Stoneleigh. glad you went with the silver wheels. they look great against the orange.

keep up the very good work

Paulie   ;D

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
  • I dont know where Im going Ask me when I get there
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #436 on: November 12, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
Time for this weeks update.
Thankyou for your kind replies. I'm looking forward to taking Cerberus to a few shows next year. But there's so much to do before then.
I've looked into lengthening the arms on my suspension and it would be a total nightmare to get it correct. At the moment everything is perfectly square and true being a factory Toyota chassis. If I modify it for a wider track I run the high risk of messing up the tracking, camber, everything. The car could crab like a early mini which is not good.
So I'm leaving it well alone. As I'm not going to be driving thousands of miles in her I'm advised not to worry.
If a bearing goes then it's easily replaced. The spacers will be fine with the mr2's standard power output but if I was to ramp up the power then I would need to change the wheels to deep dish split rims so that the wheels bolt directly to the discs. Removing the spacers. I could then add as much power as I wanted.

I have made my final decision on the engine. I'm sticking with the 4 cylinder turbo lump. Why?
I have been in touch with Rogue Motorsport in Coventry. I have chatted about my engine options. If I was to bung in a v6. Apparently they have a over heating problem. But I'm limited to its basic power and that's it.
If I stick with the turbo engine i can tune to my hearts content depending on budget.
They have built mr2 turbos chucking out over 700 BHP  8). F in hell. 700 bhp that's more than the real murcie.
Not sure how the extreme chassis modifications and body would cope with that kind of power. It would probably fall apart. ;D
They have recommended around 350 bhp is a nice power  8) this would accelerate Cerberus 0-60 around the 5 second mark.
All this tuning is a lot later on but they sky's the limit.
I've got a lot to do before anything like that gets done.

Anyway.
So the door cards have now gone away for recovering in leather with orange stitching. :o
I have completely stripped the interior again to get it ready for the re upholstering.
I have decided that I'm doing half the upholstering myself and all the leather work is being done by a profeshional.
All the edges and curves are to be covered in fine black carpet. All the big areas are to be covered in black real leather with orange stitching. No vinyl anywhere.  8)
I've decided to do it this way because transporting Cerberus is a nightmare. So she's staying put.
It won't fit in any trailer and to truck it is to expensive. So my upholsterer is coming here.  ;D
I'm keeping the interior MR2 because everything fits so well.
So a few jobs to do to get the interior ready for covering.
My first job is to fit the interior light. I spent ages looking for a suitable interior light and the best is the original MR2 light. It took me a while to find a black one on flee bay.
The mr2 interior light is sunk into the ceiling but it's the correct size for the lambo. Just above the interior rear view mirror is the perfect place.
I make a template out of cardboard to mark out the area to be cut. I then transfer it to the ceiling of the car.
I used my buzz saw to cut out the square. Fortunately I just missed the steel bar that runs along inside the ceiling.
Perfect. 8)
I then run a wire along and down inside ready to power the light.
My next job is to modify the rear storage cupboards.
I made a mistake and built them up to high. This stopped the seats fully reclining. So I have to remove the wood work.
I have now refitted the covers so they are now mounted directly to the origional mr2 metalwork. I have made 2 simple lids so you can now use these little cubby holes for storage.
To get them ready for covering I give them a good coat of black paint so they look tidy.
They won't block the seats now and you have some extra storage.
The standard mr2 had a subwoofer mounted in one of these cubby holes. But I will keep them just for storage.
So now everything is ready for covering.

I have just placed my order on the front air suspension. I have decided to go for a pair of air cups by stance parts.
These cups will fit over my origional coil over struts. They will lift the nose around 4 inches. Ideal for extra clearance.
Then return to normal by a flick of a switch.

There website here:

http://www.stanceparts.com

I did look at full air struts but they are to expensive for what they are.
It's full systems go for the interior next week so more then.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:41:01 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #437 on: November 12, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »
More photos

Lee355

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #438 on: November 13, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »
Looking awesome mate the stance suspension looks very interesting just what I've been looking for for my 355 ????

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #439 on: November 20, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »
This week I have started to fit the headlining and in fills ready for the leather panels.
For the headlining and in fills I have used a black fine weave carpet.
It's a lot smoother than normal carpet covering and is quite thin.
My plan is to have the smaller areas like the sides and bits covered in this carpet. The larger flat areas like the headlining recess and the fire wall behind the seats are to be covered in diamond orange stitch leather.
The problem with this carpet is with it being self adhesive, if you let it touch itself back to back it's ruined.
You can't unstick it without ripping the carpet.
It's quite difficult to stretch shap and cut the carpet without having bubbles and creases.
But once it's cut and shaped it looks like it has been vacuumed on.
After 2 attempts on the headlining. 1 attempt on the back panel and 4 attempts on the side panels.
2 cut deeply fingers and a lot of swearing I have managed to get the headlining and rear panels covered.
There's still loads to cover so more next week.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:18:57 AM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #440 on: November 20, 2016, 12:15:14 AM »
More photos

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: November 20, 2016, 08:03:51 AM »
great work ADP.. looks really factory

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: November 20, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »
I second that
Where do you buy this carpet from
Thanks
Mick

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
Firstly. The fine weave carpet came from my upholstery guy. So the source is unknown. It's nice stuff and feels very smooth.
The Stance solutions air cup system has arrived. Looks like a very nicely made system. It's going to be interesting fitting it.
This week I wrote another post about stress. Well this week it still hasent given up.
I think I'm going to scream. :'(
Whilst out in my Frontera, Sherman.  it decided to catch fire. :-[
Driving along as you do I could smell burning. Then loads of white smoke started pouring from the dash board. :'(
WTF.
The car filled up with stinky white smoke. I quickly had to abandon ship. All I could do was get the hell out. Open the bonnet and cut the live wire from the battery as fast as I can.
Being a Electrical engineer a big pair of wire cutters are easily at hand.
Fortunately the burning stopped there. Being so quick to disconnect the battery stopped the car completely burning out.
So Sherman had to be recovered home on the back of a truck. (Fantastic!) :'(
Now that I have managed to take a look at what happend. I sourced the burning to a small grey box under the dash.
According to my auto electrician it's the transponder immobiliser box. This has taken out everything. The immobiliser, ecu and ignition system.
Don't know why it has happend but sometimes it just does. This is something Vauxhall suffer from. Spontaneous combustion.
So now I need to source a new transponder, ecu and ignition switch and key for a 2001 v6 automatic frontera.
Time to email breakers on flee bay.
Anyway. I have done a few things with Cerberus this week.
I have finished off the headlining by covering the windscreen pillars and dashboard sides.
It took me 4 attempts to get this right as the stretching of the carpet is really tight. Those curves on the dash sides are a complete nightmare. Lots of swearing and cursing.
Now there covered they look great.
To finish off I have laid the orange stiched carpets into place to check there locations.
My next job is to stick the sound proofing into place and then fix all the carpet pieces.
So more next week.  8)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »
More photos.

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: November 27, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »
Looking good Matey  ;)
Mick

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #446 on: December 03, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »
Firstly I'm alittle gutted this week.
The Ecu and transponder burning out has rendered Sherman useless. I haven't been able to source a automatic 3.2 V6 ecu and transponder. There's plenty of manual gearbox ones around so this is what I have had to settle for.
Once everything was swapped over Sherman did start but it's not right. It's running lumpy and pulls like a bag of shit.
So I have cut my losses and got rid.  :-[ somebody at work wanted it to mess about with it.  :-[
So now I'm Sherman less  :-[ knew I should have brought a old Land Rover. Vauxhall shite.
Anyway on with what matters. Cerberus.
This week I have been busy doing a few things. I have refitted the orange stitch carpets.
I have decided to use the original carpets as they fit well and they are orange stitched with leather seams ready.
Last summer I gave them a good wash and scrubbing so there nice and clean ready.
I started by fitting some foam insulation to make a nice cushion between the carpet and the floor.
I cut to shape and then glue into place.
The next job was to fit the carpets into place.
I used spray contact adhesive to fix the carpets into place.
They all fitted great. I will give them a good vacuum once everything's finished.
My next job is to refit the dash. It takes awhile to fit as there abut of a bugger to get in.
Sorted  :D
The seats have come back from the upholsterers.  they look and smell amazing.   :o  :o
They have used a very fine expensive black leather and they are orange stitched with diamond stitching.
You can see from the photos what they were like before and now after   :o
The back panel, door cards and headlining are going to be covered by the same leather with orange diamond stitching. :o
To finish of this week I have been working on the dash clocks.
I have 2 sets of clocks. One in kmh and one in mph. One from a turbo and the other from a NA mr2.
Because I have a mechinical speedo drive I'm limited in what I can have. Toyota changed the speedos on the rev2 (mk2) mr2 to electronic.
I have decided to use the one from the NA. It's a better dash with a battery meter rather than a turbo gauge. A turbo gauge tells you nothing anyway.
For the extra bit of styling I have fitted some chrome rings around the clocks.
I wanted something alittle classy without going for chav style white dials.  ;D
The chrome rings look exactly what I am after.  8) class not chav.  ;D
I have opted for normal lighting rather than a colour as it looks more traditional.
Now that the clocks are in my next job is to crack on assembleing the dash and trimmings so more next week  ;)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:06:50 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #447 on: December 03, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »
More photos

autopro

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »
Absolutely beautiful work you have done, your car is well on it's way to being finished soon  8).  I can't wait to be where you are with your build, hopefully soon.

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: December 10, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »
Firstly Thankyou autopro for your comments. Unfortunately it's far from finished. These is so much to do yet before it's finished.
My problem is that I have such a high standard. It's got to be perfect and it will be.
Anyway I've managed to carry on with the interior.
I have now fitted the sun visors and interior light. The sun visors are normal mr2 ones but I managed to find a pair of black ones with a velvet finish. Result. :D
The leather diamond stitch back panel and headlining has finally arrived.  :o
The leather is the same leather as the seats so they look and smell fantastic.
Time to fit it into the car.
The seatbelt mounts and speakers hold the panel in place.
Now its fitted the interior has a lovely leather smell  :o
I have also now fitted the centre console into place.
My next jobs for next week is to fit the leather headlining panel and the seats. :o
So more then.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:38:21 PM by APDevelopments »

Advert