Author Topic: Cerberus here we go.  (Read 155706 times)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
  • I dont know where Im going Ask me when I get there
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cerberus here we go.
« Reply #495 on: May 24, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
Time for a quick update.
Today my fitter friend came over to strip the engine down.
I'm getting all the alloy tops polished to a mirror finish. This will make the engine look like something special.  :o
I'm going to get the big inlet manifold, cam cover and inlet Turbo pipe polished. 8)
I plan to replace that crappy rusty exhaust manifold with a stainless steel piped manifold.  8)
The company going to do the polishing requires all the parts to be stripped down to the bare minimum so a lot of removal is required.
There's allot of fiddly brackets and bolts on the mr2 engine that need removing before you get to the bigger stuff.
After a couple of hours I have a bare topped engine and a couple of boxes of parts.
After examining the cams the engine looks in good condition for its age so no problems there.
That's it for this update.
I have the welding guy coming on Friday to modify the chassis and to tidy up some of the welds as there's a few that require attention.
In the meantime I'm going to degreese the parts ready for polishing.
So more to follow  ;)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #496 on: May 24, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
More photos

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: May 26, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
Time for a update.
Today was welding day.
A top experienced welder from work came to modify the chassis and check on the welds of the car.
The first job was to modify the chassis so that the antiroll bar can swing clear of the chassis.
Because the mr2 has been lowered so much extreme made a slight mistake with the chassis extension design.
I did look at fitting longer link arms as mentioned by one of you but the roll bar link arm would hit the wishbone so I have no choice but to modify the chassis.
The welding guy cut a large portion out of the chassis and refitted some 3mm steel in its place. Making a cutout so the antiroll bar can swing clear of the chassis.
You can really tell the quality when a real experienced welder does the job. The joints are perfect.
We are talking ship building quality that your life can depend on it.
His preferred method of welding for this kind of work is TIG. He says the metal flows better when the steel is only between 1.5 and 3mm thick.
TIG welding is also the coolest so metal distortion is kept to a minimum.
After a few hours all the modifications were complete.
Whilst expecting the other welds he didn't like the look of some of them along the chassis. He called it pigeon shit welding. So he decided to grind it all back to revel a total nightmare.
I don't know who did the modifications on this car but the welding is not very good. Looks like it was welded by a novice.  Probably tried using one of those shitty gas less migs. There total crap.
Once everything was ground back you can see how bad it is. Holes all along one of the seams.
So he needed to completely weld down one side of the chassis. The other side isn't to bad. Just required a few small repairs.
So he cracked on with it.
A afternoons worth welding and it's all repaired.
All those dodgy welds are now fully repaired. Some were so bad he had to weld some extra plate into position.
Whilst he was busy welding I turned my attention to getting the parts ready for polishing. I'm going to drop them in to the polishers next week and soon as I get the polished parts back I can start getting the engine rebuilt ready to go back in.
Tomorrow I'm going to wash the whole underside of the car and the engine bay so it's all clean ready for painting.
So more then.

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #498 on: May 26, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »
More photos

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #499 on: May 26, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
More photos

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
    • Acetech Security Limited
« Reply #500 on: June 01, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
Hi mate, busy busy!!
Have you thought about grinding off the Toyota legend on the cam cover, or is it going to compromise it?

Cheers

Alex360

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #501 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
Time for a update.
Firstly my engine. I want to keep the Toyota logo on the engine as it is a Toyota. It will never be anything else. But this engine is actually a legend according to other sources so why change it.
Of course it's not going back standard form as I'm making a few changes before it goes back into the car.
I'm turning up the power. I couldn't resist  ;D
These engines are good and reliable runnng around 300-350 bhp with the standard internals.
But to run this power there is a few modifications required.
The turbo is a big ct26 which was new a couple of years ago but requires new internals to run bigger boosts so it has been sent away to have this done.
This will make it a hybrid ct26 Turbo so I'm told  :o
The intercooler fitted at the moment is sufficient if it has a high pressure blower fitted but could do with a upgrade at a later date.
The cast exhaust manifold is crap so a high flow polished stainless steel one is required.
My crap exhaust system is no good. I need a 3 inch outlet. At the moment it's half that. So a custom stainless steel one is required to mount up to the murcielago tail pipes..
A special head gasket is required to cope with the extra boost pressure so this is going to be changed.
A better clutch is in order as the standard will simply slip and smoke.
And to finish off a uprated ecu.
Once it's all in and running the car needs a dyno to set it all up.
Sounds like fun. But one thing for sure it will eat a V6 conversion for dinner.  ;D
You gotta have some beans in this car. You don't want chav lad in his 1.2 corsa beating you off the lights. Not that I would bother but. Sometimes it just needs doing.
Anyway amongst buying up loads of parts to fit to my engine I have only had time to start painting.
I have started with the rear subframe. The best paint for shitty cast iron is Hammerite
I have opted for satin black so it's not to shiny.
I have painted the whole rear subframe and a few engine brackets.
Next week I have the whole of the underside of the car to paint so more then.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:34:21 PM by APDevelopments »

dangerrous

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: June 04, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
With all the effort you're going to I'm confused as to why you're not having the parts powder coated in matt black (comes out as silk matt when powder coated) The protection is far greater, aerosol paints are soft and don't take that much of a battering.
 All my underside parts have been powdercoated where possible, the rest I sprayed with 2K, minimal cost far greater protection. My subframes and  all suspension components were sandblasted, and either primed when rubber bushes were present or powder coated for £250, I had the sway bars powdered in white. This was a cash price and took a couple of weeks due to the parts being done within big orders of particular colours, the finish is exceptional, looks totally OEM.

My ali parts have been hit with wire brushes on a die grinder,this cleans the cast ali up okay, but doesn't come close to the professional ali polishing companies, I wasn't after the polished effect, just new or clean looking.
D

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #503 on: June 10, 2017, 07:44:08 PM »
Time for this weeks update.
Firstly. Yes I could completely strip down the suspension and get everything shotblasted and then powder coated.
But to do that I would have to renew every joint and to be honest you have to draw the line somewhere.
I'm more interested in getting the car on the road now as summer is here.
My task this time around was to tidy up the engine bay as it looked like total shite. Along the way I have had to get some extra welding done. The best way to do that is to remove the engine.
Whilst the engine is out you might as well give the engine and gearbox a overhaul. Which I am doing but with a few extra bits with getting all the parts polished.
Maybe next time I will renew all the suspension parts but until then a good scrub to death with a wire brush and a sloping of hammerite will suffice for now.
So this weeks task was to paint the engine bay. Firstly I remove all the old fibreglass sound proofing that was hanging loose and torn on the bulkhead.
Once removed your left with a naff white finish. So all this needs painting. After a good mornings masking everything I was ready to spray.
I used the thick stone chip spray paint for this job. Black paint everywhere including all over me.
I leave everything to dry overnight.
The next day I gave the stone chip a good coat of satin black spray paint to give a better finish. Then again left overnight to dry.
I had a box full of hoses from the engine of the car. They were absolutely minging. What's the best way to clean all the hoses and pipes? Wait for the wife to go to work and shove them in the washing machine.
Tadda. They have come out like new. Sorted. Just don't tell the wife. ;D
Now everything was dry it was time to remove all the masking to reveal a much more tidy bulkhead.
The next job was to paint the back of the engine cover. It was covered with orange overspray and looks crap so once masked off I gave it a good coat of satin black spray paint.
To finish off I hand painted all the steel panels in the engine bay with satin black hammerite and painted the rear wheel arches to match.
Whilst I was sitting under the car painting I had a couple of visitors drop buy to check on my progress. One of the perks living close to the river. A couple of slices of bread and there off.
Anyway now the whole rear of the car completely painted. It looks so much better. All nice and new.
It's almost time to refit the engine.
My fitter friend is supposed to be coming over on wednsday to re assemble the engine. Fit all the polished parts, new Turbo, clutch and everything else ready for fitting and then Thursday hopefully we are going to refit the engine.
So lots of updates to follow.

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #504 on: June 10, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
More photos

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2017, 07:49:17 PM »
Last one

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
Looking good mate
I Live my life a quater miles at a time.Nothing else matters Not the Morgage not the store not my team and all there bull****.For those ten seconds or less i'm free - Don Fast & Furious

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #507 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
Time for a update. 
This week I will be updating daily to keep the posts shorter but with loads of photos.
I'm on holiday for a few days so it's time to rebuild the engine and get it fitted.
My fitter friend is supervising the work so let's get cracking.
Time to get all the parts out ready.
We have a nice new hybrid Turbo.  :o Lots of polished aluminium parts  :o stainless steel exhaust manifold  :o a new clutch and other various new parts to complete the build.
The sun was shining and the front of my house is a sun trap so I set up the gazebo for some shade.
First job is to replace the clutch. Once the gearbox was drained and removed we discovered that the original clutch is totally nackered. It was so worn it was amazing that it wasn't slipping. So we fit a new high performance clutch and other parts.
Now the gearbox is back in place we start reassembling the engine.
First part is the new stainless steel exhaust manifold. :o you can clearly see how much better the manifold is and will make much better flow in terms of performance.
Once the manifold is fitted we refit the polished cam cover and inlet manifold.  :o
Its a Kripton factor working out where all the parts go with all the pipes etc but everything goes back into place.
We replace all the gaskets with new ones as we go.
One last part to fit and that's the turbo. It fits the new manifold perfectly.  :o
Now that everything is fitted the engine looks fantastic  8) all the polished chrome and aluminium.  Can't wait to see it in the car.
Every serviceable part has now been replaced. New everything.  8) the cambelt and water pump was replaced a year ago so that has already been done.
So the engine is now ready for fitting.
That's tomorrow's job So more then.  ;)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #508 on: June 14, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
More photos

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner