Author Topic: Cerberus here we go.  (Read 155191 times)

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cerberus here we go.
« Reply #510 on: June 15, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »
Looking good Andrew  :) :) :)
I Live my life a quater miles at a time.Nothing else matters Not the Morgage not the store not my team and all there bull****.For those ten seconds or less i'm free - Don Fast & Furious

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
  • I dont know where Im going Ask me when I get there
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #511 on: June 15, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
Today's update.
todays task was to refit the engine as it was now fully reassembled.
We are fitting the engine in 3 separate parts. 1 main engine and gearbox, 2 subframe and 3 driveshafts.
Doing it this way makes everything much more manageable as the engine is so heavy.
So 1 engine here we go.
First job was to lift the car up nice and high using the vehicle lift.
We place the engine and gearbox on my trolley and wheel it into position.
Then simply lower the ramp and crane the engine up into position.
As we crane it into position we simply refit the bolts on the engine mountings and it's in.
Now that the engine is held in position we simply start refitting everything. Pipes, tubes and leads.
It does take all day to get this far.
So now the engine is in, tomorrow's task is to refit parts 2 the subframe and 3 drive shafts.
Hopefully get the exhaust refitted and turn the key.
So more tomorrow  ;)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2017, 10:53:00 PM »
Time for this weeks final update.
Well the engine is finally in. Still loads to do tho before we can turn the key.
It took us 1 day to remove everything but has taken us 3 days to get it back in but it's still not ready yet.
But even tho it's not finished yet the engine does look rather fantastic.  8) what a difference compared what it did look like.
We just had enough time on Friday afternoon to refit the rear subframe..
I hit a small snag with the rebuild. We noticed that because I have a very nice stainless steel exhaust manifold the inlet of the turbo is almost touching it.
As it gets really hot there the turbo inlet pipe would simply melt or catch fire.
So I need to make a few modifications. I need to get the turbo inlet away from the exhaust manifold.
For this there is only one soultion. I needed to clock the turbo. Don't know why it's called that but anyway.
Clocking the turbo doesn't have any thing to do with performance it's just simply rotating the whole turbo inlet housing. In my case to rotate it away from the exhaust.
On this turbo it has a extra bolt hole vacant so this can be done so I won't need to modify the actuator mounting.
Quite easy. Remove the huge circlip that keeps the housing in place. Rotate the housing to its new location and refit the circlip. Done. It's now well away from the manifold.
The only downside to this is that all the old intercooler pipe work no longer fits so I will have to buy a collection of 2" pipes and joins so that I can custom make new pipework.
Today I decided to start reassembleing the new 3" exhaust system. The diameter of my old exhaust is not large enough for 300bhp+ so I need to build a new one.
I really want to make the car sound unique especially when ticking over. Quite difficult with it being a 4 cylinder.
If you get it wrong it will sound crap like a shitty old tractor.
I have done loads of research with this and have decided to straight pipe the exhaust out but with a 12" cherry bomb silencer in the system.
I love cherry bomb exhausts. They cut out the crap notes from the exhaust and let the good ones through.
But it is a lot of trial and error so fingers crossed.
I brought a selection of 3" mr2 turbo pipework from eBay a while ago ready but I am going to still use the origional tailpipes as they are perfect murcielago replicas.
We have a stainless steel decat pipe and a flexible joint. Nothing to do with the decat pipe so it's simply fitted.
The flexible pipe is alittle long so I chop a few inches off each end to get it in the correct position.
Once it's trimmed I fit up the cherry bomb.
I'm only tack welding the exhaust parts into place as it will require more professional welding. For this I'm taking the exhaust to work and get my welding buddy to weld it properly.
So I tack weld the cherry bomb and pipes into place.
As I'm getting close to completing the joints my angle grinder starts making some strange noises. Then it starts to smoke.
Oh well only one thing to do. Let's blow it up. So I place it in he middle of the lawn and switch on from a distance.
Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttt bang it goes. With a big cloud of smoke. Time to buy a new one.  ;D
With the lack of a angle grinder I decided to call it a day.  Only a few tack joints to finish.
Next week it's back to work  ::) but I plan to finish off fitting the exhaust. Plumb up the turbo and hopefully start the car.
So more then.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:11:20 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #513 on: June 17, 2017, 10:59:31 PM »
More photos

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #514 on: June 17, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »
Last few. Barrrrrrttttt bang goes the grinder  ???
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:19:32 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #515 on: June 24, 2017, 11:23:31 PM »
TIme for this weeks update.
This weeks tasks was to carry on refitting the engine, chassis parts and finish building the exhaust system.
On Wednesday my fitter friend came over and refitted a lot more parts.
As it was the hottest day of the year so far I was glad I had the white tent for shade but we still cooked.
He brought the wheel bearing struts back as we decided to renew them whilst everything was off the car.
It was a good time to change them as they have a lot of stress on them due to the huge wheel spacers.
The bearings have to be pressed out using a hydraulic press.
Now that the struts were back in place we fitted back the shocks, brakes and drive shafts.
We will bleed the brakes and clutch at a later date.
Finally everything was back in place but I made a big bo bo.
When I fitted the exhaust and tack welded it up last week the drive shaft was not fitted. My exhaust pipe just happens to go straight through the drive shaft.
Shit!
Oh well looks like I need to re design it.  :'(
My intercooler piping kit arrived during the week so we fitted up the rest of the turbo plumbing.
We have new blue pipe joins and polished aluminium tubes.
The engine bay is now looking fantastic. Much better than the old rough crap engine.
It's not finished yet. Still a few extra blue pipes to change.  :D
Finally I turned my attention to the exhaust.
I need 3 inch tubing. My cherry bomb silencer and the flexible joint. So it was back to the drawing board.
I decided to relocate the flexible joint to the down pipe from the turbo. This makes the whole area below the sump clear for the cherry bomb.
After a lot of swearing, cutting and grinding I had all the curves and bends in place.
The worst part was to make sure it clears the subframe and anti roll bar.
I had to re position the rear twin exhaust hanger to get it perfect.
I tack welded all the joints into position to keep everything in place.
I'm taking the exhaust to work on Monday to get my welding mate to professionally weld the joins.
My welding is like pigeon shit and is no good for exhausts.
I can't wait to start the car for the first time to see what it should sound like with all the modifications.
Hopefully one day next week I will get to turn the key.
Next weeks tasks is to carry on painting the chassis so I can get the car off the ramp soon.
So more next week.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:31:34 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #516 on: June 24, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »
More photos.

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #517 on: July 01, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »
Time for this weeks update.
I haven't had much time this week to do much to the car as I have been at work all week.
But today I managed to get a few bits done.
This week I ordered a complete mr2 blue silicone hose kit. As the intercooler hoses have blue couplings it looked alittle odd with cheap old black hoses so I have decided to upgrade the whole lot to match.
The mr2 turbo has a lot of hoses with various sizes and lengths so it's quite a big kit.
Because this mr2 has been streched I needed a few extra custom hose lengths for the radiator and heater hoses.
A long slow job changing hoses. I try to keep the clamps under the hoses to keep it all looking tidy.
I ran out of time to finish all the hoses today but it's certainly getting there. The engine is now looking rather fantastic.
On Friday my welding buddy gave me back my exhaust system. All now perfectly welded. He also put some silver vht paint on the only mild steel part the cherry bomb to give it some protection. The rest of the exhaust is stainless steel so it shouldn't rust.
I will fit the exhaust next week. Can't wait to hear it as it's my own design using 3" pipework with just a cherry bomb to silence it.  :o
Next wednesday my fitter friend is coming back to finish off the other Jobs that require attention.
bleed the brakes, adjust the handbrake and replace the front ball joints.
Hopefully finally get the car off this ramp and back on its wheels.
So more then.  :)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #518 on: July 09, 2017, 11:52:13 PM »
Time for this weeks update.
This week I spent the whole week painting, sealing and underselling the whole underside of the car.
Taking a lot of bits off, painting them and refitting them and Simply laying under the car armed with a paintbrush.
Every nook and cranny has been painted.
This has to be probably one of the most boring jobs you can do to a car.
The ramp has paid for itself now. It's much easier to simply sit under the car and paint away.
I think the finished result is worth while tho.
I have put before and after photos so you can see the difference.  8)

This week is going to be interesting.

On Tuesday I am having a mobile tyre fitter over to replace the 2 front tyres and perform a mobile laser steering tracking.
There isn't a garage anywhere around here that has a ramp that's sunk into the ground that performs laser tracking adjustment. You simply can't get the car up on th the ramp. So there's a firm that comes out to do it instead.

On Friday it's finally time to take Cerberus for its first real MOT.
It's time to get her on the road.
I can't see how this time they can find anything else wrong. Everything has been done.
But knowing my luck they will find something so more next week.

The photos below are of the underneath before any work has been done.
Looks like a right pile of shit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:55:48 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #519 on: July 09, 2017, 11:54:05 PM »
From a pile of shit to a fully painted and under sealed chassis.
Much better now. Looks good as new.  8)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:58:34 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #520 on: July 11, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »
Time for a quickie.  :o
Firstly I have finished the painting and undersealing. Hurray.  8)
Probably the worst job ever. I've got the stuff in my pants, in my hair and up every orifice.  :(
But it's finally done.
Today I had my new Pirelli p zero tyres fitted to the front and had the front tracking adjusted.
My reason for replacing the front tyres is because I had a deep cut in one tyre and a bad split on the wall on the other so they needed replacement.
I decided to use a mobile tyre company to do the work. Hasn't times changed. In the van he had a complete mobile tyre shop. Everything. Fortunately the fitter used great care when handling my wheels which is a lot better than most shitty tyre shops.
Once the tyres were fitted he checked the tracking using a laser tracker. The tracking was out quite abit. Especially on the passenger side. Expected really since it's had a new track rod end.
Soon everything was lined up.
He was really spoilt. It was pissing down with rain but he got to work in my nice dry marquee  ;D
In between the rain I decided to give the car alittle drive around my road to get the engine warm.
This is the first time I have driven it with the new exhaust, Turbo and mods.
I gave the car alittle acceleration.
My god the difference.  :o
Firstly the sound. It's awesome. Much louder then the old system. On Tickover the car rumbles away and when the turbo spools up you can really hear it. Then the blast from the turbo takes over. It's very loud   8)
Secondly the acceleration. The car just took off. As the turbo starts working you really notice the surge.
even tho it was only a little drive you immediately know it's no longer a standard MR2.  8)
I can't wait to take it on the open road. ;D
I will soon be putting up videos of the car in action.  8)
It was nice to see the car siting on the road again. You sort of forget how big and beautiful the car actually is.
So it's all systems go for Fridays MOT so fingers crossed.
More then  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:28:44 PM by APDevelopments »

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #521 on: July 11, 2017, 10:25:17 PM »
Sitting beautiful. Shes getting there  ;D

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #522 on: July 14, 2017, 08:09:41 PM »
Time for a update.
I haven't heard from you lot for a while. Are you all still reading and following?
Anyway this week has been a big journey as today (Friday) it was mot time.
I started the week with a big list of jobs to get her ready for the mot. Silly little Jobs like making sure everything was torqued up to spec etc etc.
On Wednesday I hit a massive problem. As I was backing the car out of the drive way all I could hear was a loud Russelling sound from inside the car. Like somebody scrunching up a load of wrapping paper.
What the hell was that weard noise. So I drove it out of the drive way again and the noise reappeared.
Upon further investigation I found out what it was.
The bonding on the windscreen was giving way.
Basically because the body tries to twist as you back the car out of the driveway the bonding was being ripped away from the body.
So I could easily push the windscreen away from the body.   :-\
Shit!!!
Time to call the windscreen people out again to find out what's gone wrong.  :-\
They turned up next day and upon investigation it was not the bonding that had failed but the paint that it was bonded to.
Looks like the body shop messed up. The paint was simply not stuck to the body and it has been ripped clean off.
The windscreen needed to be removed.  :-\
Fortunately as it was already half out with the failed paint it was quite easy to remove the rest of the bonding.
There is a risk that the screen could break but I had no choice. The screen had to come out.
Now that the screen was out you can clearly see how that paint had failed.  :-[
Before the windscreen was fitted I had to angle grind everything off around the windscreen area. I ground all the paint away right back to the white fibreglass.
I smoothed everything out using my orbital sander.
The area was ready to be Rebonded.
The windscreen guys painted the newly ground area with a special black primer and left it to dry.
They applied the new bonding to the cleaned and prepared windscreen and then fitted it to the car.
The windscreen was refitted as quickly as it came out.
Sorted.
Apparently the windscreen plays a massive part in a cars structure. You notice this when the bonding is giving way.
I leave the car overnight for the windscreen to dry.
Phew.
Today has been a very big day as it was the cars official mot day.
It's been a long 2.5 years journey but the car is finally ready for its mot.
As it's booked in for a mot it was time to take the car for a ride.  8)
I ended up taking the car for a good 15 mile round trip. Even a few junctions on the motorway.  8)
What a lovely car to drive. I stopped at some traffic lights and I could here. ((((( LOOK LAMBORGHINI))))) as some kids run to have a look. Then a car pulled up next to me and shouted out wow and asked what lambo it is.
Of course this ment giving the car a portion from the lights. Didn't want to let the Lamborghini side down.
Total shock as I give it the beans.  :o :o
Firstly the noise. Man it's loud. This car simply roared away from the lights.
Secondly I lit up the rear tires with a big cloud of smoke.
Finally. The power came in like a train.
By god it's quick  8) easily tuned Impreza performance.  :o
I couldn't change gear fast enough.
Looks like all the modifications paid off. She's not standard anymore.  Easily 300bhp plus.  8)
Brings back memories of my modified cosworth days.
I plan to get a dyno done eventually to see what she's actually giving out.
Anyway
The rest of the journey was peaceful. A nice steady 60 on the motorway. Then somebody hangs out of there window taking photos as they go past.  
That's a first for me.
Yep she's a beauty alright. Kit car or not.  Who cares.  
Eventually we arrive at the ferrrari garage for its mot.
Now this garage being Ferrari have a very high standard. We are not talking about a basic shitty back Street mot.
We are talking ferrari here.
As I have had 2 earlier visits with pre mots. I have been told what to do to get everything done.
Talk about throughout check.
The car has been checked to death but........Finally the car has passes its mot.... with NO ADVISORIES. 
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooo 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Yes!!!  She's finally Road legal. Everything is now up to spec and ready for the road.
I think a beer is needed tonight to celebrate  ;)
It's been a very long journey getting here.
Blood, sweat and tears for real.
she's not finished yet tho. I still have tones of work still left to do.
She may now be Road legal but not perfect yet.
I need to refit the windscreen scuttle panel as I had to pull that off for the windscreen refitting.
I have to finally fit the top lenses over the headlights.
I have new flashy number plates to fit.
Lots of electrics still to do. Fit the new alarm so I can lock the car from the key. Fit a single din pop up screen stereo head unit.
The list still goes on and on.
As always. Weekly updates still to come and I'm going to start a YouTube channel so you can see her in action.
So more then  ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:47:35 PM by APDevelopments »

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:03 PM »
Looking good mate  ;D ;D
I Live my life a quater miles at a time.Nothing else matters Not the Morgage not the store not my team and all there bull****.For those ten seconds or less i'm free - Don Fast & Furious

Mickey_London

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2017, 10:49:16 PM »
Well done Matey
Now enjoy her whenever you get the time
Looks stunning. Love it
Mick

Advert