Author Topic: Help please MR2 Turbo troubles  (Read 4589 times)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
  • I dont know where Im going Ask me when I get there
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help please MR2 Turbo troubles
« on: May 09, 2015, 10:56:25 PM »
I need advice please as I have had alittle troubles with Cerberus.
This afternoon I decided to take Cerberus out for a nice Saturday afternoon drive.
The sun was out so some poseing was required. I drove through Windsor, Maidenhead, cookham, Bourne end, Marlow and to finish off Henley. A nice big 40 mile round trip.
The car performed totally faultless.
On the way home I decided to join the M4 for a quick get home.
As I was coming down the slip road I decided to drop down a gear and floored it.
I took the revs right up to the red line.
Suddenly there was a real loud pop and I lost power.
The car was still driving smoothly but it was like my turbo had fallen off.
It now drives like a gutless 2 litre without the turbo. The engine sounds sweet. It's still very smooth. No smoke. And it starts and ticks over as normal. But there's no boost. None what so ever. No hissing nothing. It's like the turbo isn't there.
I have removed the inter cooler pipes to check for a burst pipe. There all ok.
I've checked the inter cooler itself for a leak. That's fine as well.
Checked the actuator pipes and there ok.
I've felt the turbo intake to make sure the turbo spins freely. It's fine.
I've taken a few photos as I was taking the inter cooler off.

Now I'm scratching my head on this one.
Any ideas???

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:59:10 PM by APDevelopments »

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
Re: Help please MR2 Turbo troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:06:45 PM »
Egr valve stuck ???

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »
Over-speeding is a cause of turbocharger failure that is fairly difficult to diagnose.  The compressor speed, or boost pressure, is determined in most cases by a waste gate actuator that simply regulates the speed of the turbine by allowing exhaust to bypass the turbine wheel once a desired manifold pressure is achieved. If there is a leak between the compressor and the engine, proper pressure will be harder for the turbocharger to obtain; the waste gate will remain in the closed position until the turbocharger overcomes the leak and provides pressure within the intake manifold.   Even a small leak can cause the turbo to work 20% harder than normal to reach its desired pressure, so great care should be given to the plumbing system on the pressure side of the turbocharger.  Inspect all hoses and fittings for fitment and tightness, looking closely for piping that could rub and wear holes that could cause leaks.  Also inspect the intercooler core and compressor, bypass valve, if equipped for proper function.
The exhaust system after the turbocharger needs regular inspection.  Increased back pressure due to clogged or damaged catalytic converters, resonators or mufflers will decrease the flow out of the engine and also raise the temperature inside the turbochargers exhaust housing, which contributes to the oil coking and also raises the risk of gasket failures or cracks in the exhaust manifold and turbine housing area.  Usually this only occurs in older cars, or with higher mileage cars.  10 years or 100,000 miles is an average life span of most modern exhaust systems.

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »

I think it's terminal.
Oil light won't go out this morning.v Cry Cry Cry Cry

Looks live I've blown it up. Oh well.
Time to source a new engine.
I've been reading about a Woodsport V6 conversion. 
Might get rid of the 2 litre junk. I had a feeling that the turbo would be a pain. I've never like turbos because of this.
Looks like Woodsport are trying a V12. Now that really interests me.   Shocked

http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/

Lacie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »
It doesn't necessarily sound like a fault with the turbocharger, redlining a standard engine can cause the timing belt/chain to jump a couple of teeth resulting in a bent valve (which might explain the pop sound). An engine will still run with a bent valve but it'll lack power.

Engine problems are incredibly difficult to diagnose over the internet but you could perform a few basic checks: Check the oil. Is it frothy or slimy? Try removing the oil cap and dipstick and rev the engine, does blue smoke emit from either? Is there blue smoke from the exhaust? Try removing the radiator cap and revving the engine - are there bubbles present in the water when revved? Is there any oil in the water? Run the engine for five minutes and smell the exhaust - does it smell particularly strong of petrol?

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
Yes you can and if you have got the know how you could do it very easily ;eg Audi RS 4 /Rs6 engine could run on a transaxle by using a Audi A4 deisel 6 speed box , start going bigger and then you talking real money to do the job correct.

Turbos are ok , but would only buy a standard 1 then I'd have all the mods done , as with a chipped etc etc;you don't know who has played with the engine. :)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
Hi.
Yes the car does stink of petrol when you Rev it. It did when I first picked it up. Unfortunatly my lack of knowledge of engines made me assume that it was just very rich due to the high power tuning.
Now the oil light stays on. It does run and tick over but the turbo does nothing. You used to hear the turbo when reving.
One thing I do know is that the engine has been well fiddled with.
I'm not to worried as I am starting the major strip this week. Engine coming out and goes back in later in the summer. I have not yet decided yet what engine goes back. I would love a v12 but might have to settle for a v6 or v8.
As I brought is as a project I've got some wild ideas lol.
I'm treating the car like a old house project. Best thing is to gut it and start again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:22:53 PM by APDevelopments »

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
Hi.
Yes the car does stink of petrol when you Rev it. It did when I first picked it up. Unfortunatly my lack of knowledge of engines made me assume that it was just very rich due to the high power tuning.
Now the oil light stays on. It does run and tick over but the turbo does nothing. You used to hear the turbo when reving.
One thing I do know is that the engine has been well fiddled with.
I'm not to worried as I am starting the major strip this week. Engine coming out and goes back in later in the summer. I have not yet decided yet what engine goes back. I would love a v12 but might have to settle for a v6 or v8.
As I brought is as a project I've got some wild ideas lol.
I'm treating the car like a old house project. Best thing is to gut it and start again.

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 02:33:31 PM »
Remember to change all your brakes , and running gear , as running 200hp or so maybe ok with the spacers and bolt on bits you get with the kits but ,400bhp and up wards will rip all that stuff to bits, unless it's already been done of cause , :)

dangerrous

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
Might be an idea to get into twobrutal, they have various engine sections. The v6 route will mean minimal work in the engine bay, a v8 and v12 would mean some serious work in the engine bay, have a look at the wood sport,
http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/index.php/engine-conversions/51-v8/28-v8-conversions

Paulm
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15142-Mk3-v8&highlight=paulm

and my build diary
http://www.dnaoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,415.0.html.
D

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
That's a good point.
I'm not to worried about the brakes as the MR2 ones are a good spec. But I know what you mean about the spacers. The torque will twist the spacers like ringing a wet flannel. I would need to go for split rim wheels so that the hub fits directly to the disc to take the torque. Split rim wheels are on the list.
I'm actually not interested in massive bhp and speed. If I was I would had brought a BMW M3. That's not what owning a replica is about. But to have a real V12 in there gives the ultimate appeal and sound.
I wouldn't dream taking it over 80mph. I'm not a lunatic. As you sit so close to the floor 60mph feels like 100 anyway.  
The car looks like it will do 200mph plus. That's all that matters. Looks and sound.

Alittle story. I used to be involved in stage effects and I built a burn out effect kit for my old Sierra cosworth back then. I could do some amazing burn outs without even spinning my wheels.
How? Firstly the sound. A cosworth hitting the rev limiter is loud enough.  Then the effect. In the boot I had 2 high power stage effect smoke machines piped into the wheel arches. Now I know your thinking about those rubbish ones you can buy in Maplin. Err no I'm talking about the big professional ones. When I pressed the smoke dump button you couldn't see a thing as there was so much smoke. I used to get massive cheers at the cruises.  Ever seen a burnout where the smoke stinks of strawberry.  I tried every flavour. Neutral was best.

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »
Well good luck ;) be watching with interest as to what you go for :)

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
This is the sound I would like to achieve.
Ok it's a long shot but it's just an idea. (A real Cerberus)  :o
Turn up volume. LOL

http://youtu.be/yMpmyo-X994

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 08:56:55 PM »
Ummmmm vvvv sweet , however if you don't want big bhp I can't ever see how your going to replicate that sound , without going for a m5 engine  or some other v10 /12 ???

Audi v10 ???

.... Well I have 1 more idea , but it will defo cost you , but this guy can make over 500bhp out of the v6 pug as a daily runner !!!! I know made hey !!

Look up Geoff page racing at Maldon Essex ,

:) chris

APDevelopments

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
Well I have had time today to strip down the engine to find out what's going on.
I've found the fault  :o
On the MR2 owners club forum I had a few replies to this problem and one of the mentioned the that shaft between the compressed and exhaust turbines in the turbo had snapped.
This gave me the idea that I need to strip it down.
So after a few hours taking the car apart I was amazed by my findings.
The exhaust turbine has completely gone. It's been blown apart. Oblitrated completely.
There just isn't any turbine left in there.
You can see a flat area where the turbine joined to the shaft and that rotates as you spin the compressor wheel.
I did find abit of turbine in the exhaust. The rest must be on the motorway when it went bang.
I'm amazed that this can happen with such force but when you consider the speeds that the turbine spin at.
Time to buy a new turbo.
I've attached a few photos of my findings
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:00:15 PM by APDevelopments »

Advert