Author Topic: Exhaust silencers (need to reduce loudness)  (Read 1387 times)

360brian

• View Profile
Exhaust silencers (need to reduce loudness)
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:23:07 PM »
the exhaust on my 3Ltr Peugeot based 360 is almost straight thru, has the cat and one inline small box half way along the car. It sounds great, but unfortunately exceeds the MOT test max (Irish MOT: aka NCT) or 99dB. My max is 112dB at 3000 rpm. The pipe OD is 2" all the way.

I need to find a place to fit a single silencer box, or maybe to small cans (perhaps close to the twin exit pipes)..

I would really appreciate any help and advice you can give (especially if you have a rough diagram and can recommend what to buy, size, supplier). My eventual plan is to fit a vacuum actuated bypass valve before the cat, with a small pipe places somewhere handy, but that's something for the future, not now (I did that on my 3Ltr 355 replica, was fantastic).

- another question, before I forget, it doesnt look like I have an exhaust leak, however I can clearly smell exhaust fumes inside the car when parked and engine running, any of you experienced this, its a serious issue that I must fix asap, so all tips welcome

Thanks in advance!

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust silencers (need to reduce loudness)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
Hi Brian ,as for the exhaust smell the main place to check would be the seal on the tailgate ( engine cover ) any small gaps will allow fumes to get inside the car ,also wheel archs  and rear panel (original pug ) were they were cut make sure these are sealed properly , as for the silencer there are some companies who can build you one and guarantee the DB  we hav used these on the race cars we build they normally come with the end plate that is also removable should you want to add more wadding to make it quieter ,I'll try and dig a tell no out for you cheers jd .

360brian

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust silencers (need to reduce loudness)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
Thanks JD, useful info!!

This evening I had to remove the rear panel to fit the correct curved Cavallino, the flat one didn't look right. Boot liners removed and you were right JD, holes through to the arch (I could see the twin pipes through there), now I know what to do.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:57:24 PM by 355brian »

Advert