Author Topic: Rear window  (Read 5171 times)

bigdog

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Rear window
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:18:15 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know if a genuine rear window will fit the Extreme engine cover?

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
Re: Rear window
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
I can't see why not !!!

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
    • Acetech Security Limited
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »
Probably, but the engine cover normally needs a lot of work to straighten it up. I thought no you can buy the whole engine cover for around £800

Cheers

Alex360

Lacie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:22:44 AM »
I don't think it fits. I tried to fit a polycarbonate rear window from a motorsport 360 into mine but it required cutting around 10mm off the width before it would fit properly.

Plus, as Alex mentioned the fibreglass rear cover requires edits to straighten it and even then the cover is pretty weak. I imagine it would need further modifications to stop it from twisting or warping when you raise the rear cover and possibly putting the glass under undue stress.

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »
I don't think it fits. I tried to fit a polycarbonate rear window from a motorsport 360 into mine but it required cutting around 10mm off the width before it would fit properly.

Plus, as Alex mentioned the fibreglass rear cover requires edits to straighten it and even then the cover is pretty weak. I imagine it would need further modifications to stop it from twisting or warping when you raise the rear cover and possibly putting the glass under undue stress.

I have tried to fit my perspex screen into my extreme engine cover and my screen is also too big and will have to be cut down at least 10mm. I will be working on it later this week so will get a few measurements and post on this topic

Cheers

Alex360
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:48:15 PM by Alex360 »

bigdog

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »
Thanks everyone,I'll probably stick with the perspex back window. Alex,my window is also about 10mm to big,I'm going to sand it down with a belt sander.what are you going to do about the curve of the perspex I'm not keen on the flat look of the rear window with perspex thats why Iwas thinking of fitting a glass window.                                                                                                                                                   

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
That's a bummer as I want glass defo not plastic :(

As for the curve are you not ment to use a roll of masking tape for the perfect finish ;)

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »
I have glass in mine (not genuine 360), its flat, seems ok to me, even though its flat (although I'd like a few discrete heated rear window lines), the struts handle it no problem

There's always the option of going direct to Pilkingtons direct for custom glass, with a template and curve specs. Can understand the desire to get it perfect. I'd like to fit the proper mesh each side, which woudl seem to be another challenge

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
Thanks everyone,I'll probably stick with the perspex back window. Alex,my window is also about 10mm to big,I'm going to sand it down with a belt sander.what are you going to do about the curve of the perspex I'm not keen on the flat look of the rear window with perspex thats why Iwas thinking of fitting a glass window.                                                                                                                                                   

I was going to do the stradale look, so can put cross members in, with different sized rubber spacers in the centre, and a blob of fibrefill on the top centre, bolting it down along the edges with tigerseal in between

Sound do-able?

Cheers

Alex360

beamerdave2001

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »
Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371423891825&alt=web 

360 glass on ebay

bigdog

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
It's for a spyder not a coupe - no good for us

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
Hey, thanks Brian,

I am going to look into the Pilkingtons direct option, didn't know there was someone who could do that, so defo worth a try.

Cheers

Alex360

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 11:25:57 PM »
Me 2 Alex , but I'll now wait see how you get on ;) lol

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:35 PM »

4u2nv

• Going going gone !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
Hi Big Dog

I've got Oem tailgate glass for sale . Mint condition will fit in extreme tail gate to !!!

Advert