Author Topic: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build  (Read 81963 times)

BennyD

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »
Fantastic detail Paul. Keep up the good work on the car and on here! It's great to have something like this for when I get the time to do mine. ;)

rshores228

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Was doing some searches for boxster .  Haha. And came back.  It seems that Boxster apparently have a problem with the IMS bearing failing and from what I can find Porsche still hasn't found a solution for it.  I saw some cheap Boxster for sale on ebay but they had this IMS bearing failure which requires a new motor I guess when it goes out.  Makes me wonder if a Cayman motor would fit into the boxster engine bay.  It's basically the same except it doesn't seem to have this IMS bearing failure.  Hmmm.    Something to think about anyways.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when these IMS bearings go out either.  The Boxster I saw on ebay only had 25,000miles on it.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:46 PM »
Evening Guys

Thanks very much for all the positive comments and questions. They do spur a builder on!

To bring you all up to speed and to answer the questions so far….

This kit is designed with the home builder in mind. Roland at ANuD founded DNA which prided themselves on the ease of their builds. I have experienced this first hand when I built my first car, the DNA 4thirty. Most of the regulars know this car (and the build diary) and as a first time builder, the kit was so well thought out and complete, it enabled me to complete it to a pretty high standard. It will be at Stoneleigh on the Sunday so come over and have a chat.

The Porsche GTB kit is no exception. What is also great it the customer service.  With many sharks in the kit car business you need to be careful but Roland is always available to help if you’re stuck. He has become a good friend of mine over the years and he is passionate about what he does and likes nothing more to see his product finished and on the road. It’s the best form of advertising!

While I haven’t personally fitted the body on the GTB, I have no doubt I could have. That is the beauty of the kit. The reason why I chose for Roland to do it was just because of my personal circumstances. I have done it before with the DNA 430 and I have no doubt this would be just as straight forward. I work long hours in my job and whilst I have a (very) forgiving wife, bless her, she put up with a lot on the last car. So now, less than 2 years later I couldn’t do that to her again so soon. LOL.  For me it is now about finishing the car and dressing it how I want it to be and for me there is no rush. Not that I will let it drag on too long, but given my current lifestyle (wife, 2 girls and now a dog) I estimate I have a years-worth of work ahead of me.

Build diaries are great and they give a sense of how taxing the build could be. The diaries on the DNAOC sister forum helped me decide that I could do it on the 430 and since then I have made numerous friends and helped other builders also with their cars.

On the questions:

Wheel spacers: this is always a bit of a sensitive subject on kit cars, although spacers are not the correct term really. While we use the term spacers, what is actually used are hub extenders. Spacers have no physical attachment to the car where hub extenders do so are more secure/safe. The first 2 cars built by ANuD wheels spacers/extenders were used. The fronts were only 10mm spacers while the rear had 30mm extenders. So a very minimal size. However we are currently looking at other wheel options that could do away with the need for anything so watch this space.

IMS Bearing: a popular subject among any Boxster owners.  I read numerous articles/forums on the issue. My conclusion?   Don’t worry about it. My job is to take calculated risks. It affects a very small % of cars and you have no idea when it will happen. You can buy a 12 yr. old Boxster with 30k on the clock and 1 careful lady owner that is mint and then it goes. Or you can buy one that has been driven hard with 150k on the clock and it is fine. I had many sleepless nights worrying about it but in the end it is fate. All I’d say is if you need to change the clutch, get the IMS uprated to the better one at the same time and then problem is sorted. 
HTH
Paulie  ;D

rshores228

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2017, 05:54:41 AM »
Any updates or pictures to share guys? 

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2017, 10:49:20 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates. Progress has been slow as I haven’t had much chance to work on the car lately. However I have made a start. Once in the lodge I jacked it up and took all 4 wheels off and placed the car on axle stands. It will probably stay like this until it goes to be painted.

First job was to give it a good clean. The fibre glass dust gets everywhere. So out came the baby wipes for a good rub down. This gave me a good chance to give the kit a good look over exactly how it all fits together etc... It’s a great kit, full of very clever ideas. Great work ANuD!

The first choice was to whether put the extra spoiler on. ANuD give customers the option but not cutting out the extra holes as some like to just have the ducktail spoiler alone. I slept on it and decided I would go for it with the extra one. I don’t think you can badge the car as the GT3 without having it. So out came the power file to cut out the holes that are pre marked and I placed it on. I think I made the right choice. It looks awesome!

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2017, 10:52:37 PM »
Next I added back some rubber trims. The one around the oil and water filler unit and the old boot seal. Both had to be cut. These serve no purposes other than to make it look more factory and pretty and to hide nasty sharp edges. I dont like sharp edges.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2017, 11:05:32 PM »
I have also been acquiring more parts for the build. I managed to get another DRL plus some 997 door seals that will be needed later.  I also managed to find the 3rd brake light that mounts in the ducktail spoiler. I have bought the radio dash conversion kit that allows you fit a double din radio into the dash and moves the air con controls lower below. I want to fit a reverse camera which I got off eBay and this will go between the rear number plate lights.

I have also bought a second hand sports exhaust silencer. I found it on eBay and it is a Toyo sports one. So while the car is being built I will swap it over. This should hopefully give a better sound than the stock Boxster silencer. Better get the WD40 on those exhaust clamps!

I’ve decided to start building the rear of the car and work forwards, starting with the rear lights. In order to fit up the lights the ducktail spoiler has to come off. It won’t go back on properly before paint as it needs to be painted separately, plus it will make drilling out the 3rd brake light hole easier. The ducktail is held on with 2 screws and then 4 bolts. They are a bit fiddly to get off on yor own, but would be easy with an extra man to help.

I had to get the headlight out to note down the part # as I still need the driver’s one and I couldn’t resist placing it on the car! Love it.  ;D

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »
Looking great Paul ,defo right decision to fit spoiler . Jd

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »
please STOP posting photos..                                you're making me want one!

I second that spoiler.. looks great!

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
Steve you have a Lambo to finish first,  four weeks to stoneliegh show lol .sorry for high jacking your post Paul   :) jd
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:58:40 AM by ferrari360jd »

casper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »
Love it! What color are you going to paint it?

tng2000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2017, 06:54:08 PM »
Drooling over this build and dying to know more details !.

I emailed anudimension for info but no response after a week  :(

Would you be able to post more shots of the roof area, mostly how the joint at the original windshield to roof joint was done, and is there any steel reinforcement on the inside of the roof ?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work !

anudimension

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
Really sorry I missed your email Stan ive just replied

ANUDIMENSION

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
going for blue for the colour at the moment (although it could change) . i will post more progress soon... but here is a couple of pictures to keep you going....

rshores228

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
Man that thing looks great!  Looking at all the pictures with the commentary sure makes it look like it's be a project that I can complete myself.  I have a brother that already has a real late model 911.  I love the way this car looks.  I like it better than my brothers 911 that he paid stacks for.  It'd be cool if could update the interior some.  Would there be any plans to add a updated console/dash to the kit? 

It looks great already tho. Wonderful in fact! I love this car! Look forward to more updates!

Advert