Author Topic: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build  (Read 81954 times)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2017, 05:37:17 AM »
Brake lights

I’ve done the wiring for the 3rd brake light. I just extended the wiring from the Boxster connection which come outs below the rear window all the way to the rear spoiler. I also added a 4th brake light which sits below the rear grill. The wiring for the 4th just piggy-backs off the 3rd brake light wiring.

Rear arch liners

These are just strips of black plastic included in the kit that bring the gap between the Boxster arch and the GT3 arch. The plastic slides inside the GT3 arch and you then screw it into the Boxster arch metal with tech screws (drill holes first). I used L-shaped brackets so it attaches to the rear bottom of the GT3 arch as well.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2017, 05:44:55 AM »
Rear Spacers arrived. These are 30mm rear hub extenders that bolt to the Boxster hub. All very standard and available from eBay. All bolts are supplied. Spacers are bolted in place, using thread lock.  As I haven’t bought the same sizes wheels as the ANuD demo car I have to experiment with tyres. So I have bought part worn Pirellis front and back.

Fitted the bonnet badge with the help of my daughter. Just drilled 2 holes in bonnet for the pins and put in place with Butyl Tape (dum dum).

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »
Rear quarter vents

I wanted to do these differently with mesh which would allow more air into the Boxster side intakes. This is because the Boxster side vents are further forward than the GT3 because of the mid-engined layout. So I set about chopping up the GT3 vents to remove the deeper scoop section and replaced with fine mesh. I have blacked out all the metal that is behind the vents so the look is clean. I just sprayed it all with tough satin black paint.

The mesh is held in place again with dum dum for now, but it works well and could be useful should I ever need to change the mesh. I primed the vents after filling in some imperfections. I toyed with having these the same as the body colour but I still think they’d look better in black as they are a feature. I am really pleased how these came out as it was a bit scary chopping up the vents to start with.  ;D

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2017, 05:59:55 AM »
So the wheels arrived and had some fun and games with them. The front driver’s side was slightly dented so needed to be replaced, and then the bolt holes weren’t drilled out correctly, but the company got it all sorted really quickly. I got a local tyre fitter to put the tyres on the rims along with metal valves for £15 a wheel. Now the car is really starting to take shape. I put the Boxster front drivers wheel on so I could get the car out for some photos.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2017, 06:05:53 AM »
I have also been blacking out various parts of the car for a more factory finish such as the inside of the boot, bonnet. This is certainly easier to do now than when the car is painted as you just spray at will. I used tough satin black pint that doesn’t require primer so it is really quick. I have also done this with high temperature paint on the inside of the 4 arches as well.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2017, 06:11:05 AM »
As I was flicking through eBay I also found for sale at reasonable price, real Carrera boot grills which I thought I could use in place of the part supplied in the kit. I will probably just bond these on and have a mesh between the slats but I have yet to work this out yet. They are currently held in place with dum dum, but they fit perfectly.

I have also fitted the door seals. These are 2nd hand from a Porsche 996/997 and you just need to lose about 1 inch worth of rubber to make them fit the GT3 door frame. I just lost this at the bottom near the front of the car where the join cannot be seen.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2017, 06:20:10 AM »

Wing mirrors

You need to remove the whole wing mirror motor from the Boxster mirrors. Do this very carefully as it you pull it out too hard, it will break the mechanism like I did. So I bought a 2nd hand Boxster mirror to try again. In the end I just cut them up gradually to gain access to remove the motor without damage.

The motor just screws into the GT3 mirrors. Drill a larger hole to run the wires through, and you also need to extend the wiring to the harness in the car. The GT3 mirror glass is just standard Porsche 911/991 ones from eBay - £15 each (I got heated ones as my Boxster has this as well). I’ve extended the wires such that they connect to the wiring harness inside the car and then can be placed hidden, inside the door. The wires will need to run inside the door, along the top, right to the front to avoid the window fouling them when it goes up.

For now I have just taped some smaller mirrors to the motor so I can use them when I get the car out for painting as it is tight in my drive-thru garage!

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
Rear quarter windows

Trailed fitted one of these. You have to drill 2 holes in the b-pillars to allow the window bolts through and then use repair washers from the inside along with nuts. You may have to thin down some of the fibre glass on the inside edge of the window hole to enable the window to slide in. Don’t waste time trying to align anything yet as you’ll need to account for the door windows as well, so that’s a job for after painting

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2017, 06:52:34 AM »
I also bought some new wheel centre badges for the car. The wheels came with silver badges with Bola written on them. I tried to get some Porsche badge ones but I just could get the right size. I even tried to make my own using the Bola centre badges, cutting out the middle and gluing the Porsche logo to them but it didn’t look good enough. So, from looking at previous pictures I liked the badge being black as opposed to silver. So I just bought some OZ racing ones instead and put them on.

With the drivers wheel all sorted it was time to get some decent photos of the car outside.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »
more....

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2017, 07:07:24 AM »
Next was fitting the sport exhaust silencer. The standard exhausts it just too quiet for me. There needs to be some sort of grumble on start-up. So a while back, I purchased a second-hand sports exhaust from a breakers and then set about fitting it. What a pig of a job. The car is 15 years old and yes, those bolts are VERY rusty. Getting the old exhaust off was a nasty job. In the end I had to blow-torch the nuts and split them, but all came off in the end. One of the exhaust clamps has rusted away and just fell off!

Access is quite difficult to get to the clamps where the old silencer hangs although without the kit on I don’t think it would have been much easier tbh. I looked at you-tube videos so I had an idea for where the fixings were and we managed to get it old one off in a morning. I bought 2 replacement clamps and reused the other 2 clamps that attach the pipes to the cats. But I did have to replace the nuts and bolts on those. All now back in place and thread-locked.

The Boxster exhaust hangs on 2 brackets that are on the ends of the silencer whereas the new exhaust hangs on brackets and mounts in the centre (see photos, black circles). I fitted the sports exhaust up loosely and it then became aparent that it sat too high for the bigger tail pipes, so I had to fabricate brackets so it hung around an inch lower than standard to clear the arch in the rear bumper.

The sound? Much better. A nice louder roar at start up but not too loud to annoy the neighbours.  With a 3.2 litre, straight six blowing through it at 50 mph it should be just lovely.  Very pleased how it turned out!

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2017, 07:14:43 AM »
I bought some car skates/dollies with a view to being able to put the car on these and move it around the garage to get better access to the sides of the car. My advice? Don’t bother – waste of time. The car is too heavy to push around and the only way I could move it sideways was pulling the wheel. Something I think over time will cause damage.   So now I just roll the car forward and backwards when required and for the sides well I’ll have to deal with that when I need to.

Having spent most of the time on the rear of the car, I fancied a change and move onto the front. Front bumper side indicators. You need to cut away quite a lot of the fibre glass to allow them to fit, as the bulb and connector stick out inside the bumper. Not an issue.  Just carefully cut away and use trial and error. Both done within 30 mins

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2017, 07:34:46 AM »
Front grills

These can be bought from Porsche for £27 so I had 2 brand new ones ready to go. You need to cut away a lot of the plastic to make them fit but don’t make the mistake I did and cut away the sections where the DRL’s attach to. In first photo below you need to ensure you keep the yellow circled sections I have marked. The second photo show after the cutting has been done (although this is the driver’s side one – after I realised my mistake). I also needed to cut away the section arrowed to allow it to fit inside the front bumper. You have to deal with the bumper bar as well so this is why this area needs to be cut.

You need to trim back the excess returns on the hole in the front bumper. Again it is trial and error. The bumper bar does show through, so once I was finished I took it all apart and sprayed it black.  On the lower part of the bumper hole, just neatened it up and once the grill is in place, you be able to mount it so it covers the bottom edge of the hole for a nice finish. You’ll need to cut away some fins from inside the grill frame to allow the thickness of the fibre glass to slide in but I was pleased how it all fits really well.

When the time comes you’ll need to bond this frame to the inside of the bumper hole. The finds then just clip onto the grill frame. You’ll need to make some slots in the bumper so the fins sit inside the sunken triangle sections.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
Other side done – it’s always easier 2nd time round!

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2017, 07:38:53 AM »
As the grills are quite see-through, I didn’t want to be able to see the floor through them, so I set about making some templates for some under-bumper covers. These will be replicated in black-plastic and utilize the original under bumper cover mounting points.

Advert