Author Topic: 355 front grille wanted  (Read 2065 times)

FazerBob

• View Profile
355 front grille wanted
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:35:24 AM »
Has anyone got a front radiator grille for a 355 for sale, or can advise where to get one? Now my yellow car is almost ready I seem to have found myself another 355 in red, but this one really is a project car. Loads and loads of work to do, and a few bits missing. Thanks guys.

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 355 front grille wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »
Eurospares.co.uk
I Live my life a quater miles at a time.Nothing else matters Not the Morgage not the store not my team and all there bull****.For those ten seconds or less i'm free - Don Fast & Furious

ChristiaanN

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:09 PM »
I made one myself out of aluminium.  Here is what I used

- 5 threaded rods (M10), about 22cm
  - a hollow rod that fitted loosely around the threaded rods, which  I cut into 20pieces about 5 cm each,
  - 3 aluminum strips about 5cm long and as wide as I needed the grill to be.

I first drilled 5 equidistant holes in the middle of the strips, then ran threaded rods using the small hollows as spacers. I then used a grinder carefully following the shape of the car, just concentrating on one side of the car first, and only shaving off the top and bottom strip. I used a dremel to get it exactly right, on just one half.

This is important because the curvature of the grill has to contour with the body so each strip is not the same.

The I took the whole thing apart again and traced the curved part of half of each strip on a piece of paper and used it as a template to shape the second half. Then I took the two shaped pieces (top and bottom strips) and just made the middle strip go halfway.

It was an interesting exercise but I can honestly say that the result was better than a 355 grille.

Brillo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:07:54 AM »
Nice work, well done. :)

Alex360

• Extreme Owner
  • "You got a heavy foot"
    • View Profile
    • Acetech Security Limited
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »
Excellent work christiaan,

Well done on just doing it, rather than spending loads of time and money finding an original one.
Thank you for posting it on here, it shows the true meaning of building a replica.

Alex360

FazerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:30:56 AM »
Well done Christiaan, that looks brilliant. Time to get the Dremel out.

Advert