Author Topic: Murcielago Build - CdRsKuLL  (Read 188819 times)

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Murcielago Build - CdRsKuLL
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
Hi Nick,

Yes.. just pinched the motor and shaft bits from it.  I've nearly finished one now so will get a few pic's later if I get chance. I think I'm going to be using a little micro controller as at the moment the laguna mirrors fold more than is needed and it would end folding into the side glass :-(.  I've already wrote the code for the controller so just a case of wiring it up now. I will be using the same controller to read the pulse (speed) from behind the dash to control my spoiler and bat wings.

Just waiting on some P40 to go solid before I can carry on!

Is your 355 finished now? .. Also are you the same guy I met at Newark kitcar show about 5 years ago? I had my DNA360 then and do remember talking to someone who had a 355.

Steve

Hia Steve, yes you have a good memory ! Yes it was Newark, was it 5 years ago ??!!!
I think i was about a year through then, so roll on another 4 years and I finished it. You`ll appreciate the electronics in the interior, I made a 355 interior then used OEM guages\switches etc ... So speedo / rev counter /fuel guage etc ... All work off the mr2 signals.
I keep meaning to take and put some pics up, just need some better weather !

So with your mirrors, you say the standard arc is too much - does it rely on a timed pulse to set the arc ? I just wondered if it might be like a windscreen wiper motor with an integral PCB track it follows ?

Interested to see how yours work out, think its a use full feature on a wide car !

Nick

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Hi Nick,

Would love to see some photos of your car.. get em posted !!!

The motor on the mirror is just a plain DC motor with a worm drive. The limit setting is a boss inside the drive unit. So it can go from 0 deg to say 90 deg.. I think the laguna just powers the motors for say 4 seconds. In this time the motor should of moved the mirror and it will be up against the stop. This movement however is to much for me. So.. I can either do it three ways I think. The first would just be a timed power.. ie 2 seconds. This is the simplistic way I think. The more technical way I'm thinking is to put a reed switch in and a bypass diode for return.. so it autocuts the motor power when it's in the correct position and then just do a timed second movement back to its stops. The last way is I was wondering is if you could read the current load on the motor and then add my own stop inside the mirror..

need to decide which way to go :-) If I use the reed switch I might even be able to use the original MR2 wiring.. need to have a look at that.

Will do a bit more on it tonight and see how far I get..

Dont forget... get some pic's up :-)

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »
Well, after a bit of reading it seems the MR2 uses 4 wires for the motors with a relay.. :-( So I might have to go with plan R now..

below is a wiring diagram.

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
I can't remember off hand what technique the mr2 uses  ?? but I have a feeling you need mechanical limit stops whichever technique is used. A timed partial sweep ( without end stops ) might vary with temperature,

Current sensing would be nice if something got in the way, but initial movement would be current hungry although not as much on end stops.

Quite an interesting challenge !

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »
Yep, I think they must have stops somewhere in the mirror. The reed switch seems an easy solution.. just need to find a nice small normally closed one that can take enough amps for the motor... It's only a tiny motor.. I will measure the current and see what's needed later.

It would be a case of wiring it up like below.. so when the magnet opens the switch (mirror in folded position) it would then cut the power to it. However since the diode is there you can then return the mirror to its open position by running the motor the other way for the time it takes +  a couple of seconds to make sure it's fully out.

What do you think?

dangerrous

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »
Looks like you may be over thinking, just put in open/closed stops and two 5amp timed dual pole relays (forward/reverse control), if you want to use a plc, I can see the advantage of a one step switch and tying it into the on off ignition etc.
We use 24v electronic load detectors in our automation systems, a right pain in the backside.
Love the work on the mirrors, may be the 430 will get electric mirrors afterall  ;D
D

ChristiaanN

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
Nick, please post pics of the 355

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
Looks like you may be over thinking, just put in open/closed stops and two 5amp timed dual pole relays (forward/reverse control), if you want to use a plc, I can see the advantage of a one step switch and tying it into the on off ignition etc.
We use 24v electronic load detectors in our automation systems, a right pain in the backside.
Love the work on the mirrors, may be the 430 will get electric mirrors afterall  ;D
D

Defo recommend them :-) I had thought about using relays but unsure how you put them in a state of nothing if you know what I mean. I'm only getting a couple of hours on them a night so it's slow going. I might try the reed switch first as that seems the easiest way for me. I've already got a arduino controlling my spoiler and batwings so it's only a couple lines of code to do the mirrors as well.

The last one is of the underneath and the nut that's used to hold them all together.. the tiny hole on the right 'should' of been a drain hole for the motor incase water gets in.. sadly I didn't realise how thin I had made it making room for the motor.. no worries, bit of P40 will fix that!

that will do for tonight, tomorrow it's finishing this one off.. well until my reed switches come.

O.. and I might have a murcie dash coming (fibre glass.. not real! )

Steve

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »
been doing a little research tonight. I bought some original murci mirror glass @ £40 each. I thought for the extra few quid there is nothing like using proper stuff.. They are blue tinted and also comes with a heat pad on the back. This I'm going to tie into the rear demister button since I don't have one of these anymore :-)

I'm also going to use the mirror position motors out of the laguna rather than the mr2 onesl and just wire them to the MR2 plug. Going to smash the laguna mirror and then use the back plastic to stick to. That's the idea anyway.

So tonight I will try and finish off the folding action other than fitting the 6mm reed switches I've ordered and play with these mirror motors.

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »
Here's an interesting find !!!!!

When I ordered my lambo mirrors I received two mirrors and a single backing plate. I wasn't going to use the backing plate and haven't looked at it for a year or so. I dug out my mirrors and found the laguna mirror motor FITS!! I would never of guessed that Lambo use the same motor as on the Laguna.. but there you go :-)

This will allow me to get the motor set in the perfect place.. how good is that :-) might have  beer to celebrate. woot

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
shhh.. don't tell the wife!  I'm going to pick up something next week.. will make my interior and engine bay very nice :-)

I will post pic's next week of what I've bought.

Steve

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
Yep, I think they must have stops somewhere in the mirror. The reed switch seems an easy solution.. just need to find a nice small normally closed one that can take enough amps for the motor... It's only a tiny motor.. I will measure the current and see what's needed later.

It would be a case of wiring it up like below.. so when the magnet opens the switch (mirror in folded position) it would then cut the power to it. However since the diode is there you can then return the mirror to its open position by running the motor the other way for the time it takes +  a couple of seconds to make sure it's fully out.

What do you think?

I think it will work and its a neat idea, but ....... I'm not sure how long the reed switch will last, since you will be breaking the motor current with it, and the motor being an inductive load will cause a nice spike across the switch. 

What's the spec on the reed switch you've got ?

PS lucky about the mirror fittings !

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
Hi Nick,

I ended up getting these... http://www.evale.co.uk/reed-sensor-plastic-barrel-6mm-nc.html If I find they wont break due to the current I do have the option of having the switches read by the arduino. The MR2 did use 4 wires for the mirrors and I'm only using 2 so have 2 spare :-) I was going to use these for the heat mat but moving mirrors are more important.

The will come Mon / Tue so will give them a test then. I need more stuff before I can carry on.. trip to the shops today is needed.

Steve

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2013, 11:16:28 PM »
I've been doing a bit more on one of the mirrors. About 20 hours in total on a single mirror !! But it's nearly finished now. It's fully working / folding. I've just got one more night on it I think to finish it off nice.

Motor back is all bonded in and the mirror adjusts on the motor great. Might even get chance to start the other one tomorrow... who know :-)

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
Nice one, looking good! It's stuff like this that non kit people just don't realise how much effort goes into building. Only bad thing is, I can't just use a nut and bolt now I've seen how you have done it! Hehe!
Top job, now what's all this about a murci dash?

Advert