Author Topic: 406 or MR2?  (Read 3978 times)

V10

• View Profile
406 or MR2?
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »
I have been set on undertaking an MR2 build for the new 430 but after reading the 360 FAQ and speaking to a few others in the forum i'm coming round to the idea of a v6 pug 406.  The only thing that I don't like is the obvious fact that the engine is in the front  :D  I would like to know if anyone who owns a 360 pug finds it difficult to pass as a genuine when you pull up at a service station?  Do you get anyone pointing and laughing at the fact that the engine noise comes from the front of the car?   Does the false engine panels for the rear look good to fool anyone or too plastic looking?  If I can get over this in my mind, then I think the 406 is a better option because it has a decent size engine (V6), I don't ahve to go searching ofr a V8, the dimensions are spot on and all the mod cons are there  ;D  I even read that Extreme could throw an engine in the rear of the 406 for extra cost, so maybe that's an option for me later on after the initial build?  Anyone living with a V6 pug and have stories good or bad? Cheers  ;D

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 406 or MR2?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »
The fake engine looks absolutely spot on, you would have to be really looking very carefully through the lid to point it out as a fake in my opinion. The one in the demonstrator looks really convincing & they havent even gone to town on leads, wiring or other bits that help the illusion. A few bits in satin or matt paint & a quick light rub over with a grubby cloth would help the illusion (just to get rid of the 'just painted' pristine look) but it really does look good.

The noise comes primarily from the rear of the car, the exhaust is significantly louder than standard & you really dont notice any noise from the front. Provided your engine isnt knocking or the front joints of the exhaust badly fitted, you shouldnt have a problem at all. The only people that would notice are people that know about the kits already & they will know what other clues to look for anyway.

The front wheels will spin if you drive like a tool, but simple way round that is...dont drive like a tool if there are people about you want to convince! Anyway the quickest way off the line is NOT to spin the wheels. The front will lift slightly under acceleration, but who is going to notice that is what is happeneing as apposed to the rear sinking down? They are just going to be admiring the car.

On the way to stoneleigh last week the demonstrator 360 was in the garage filling up with us & not one person even questioned its authenticity & we had lots of people looking and asking qns as you can imagine with 3 supercars pulling up.

If you are really concerned about people hearing it, the cooling fan on the radiator/aircon is noisier than the engine, so just turn on your aircon when you go into the garage, noone will hear it over the rad fans then. 

V10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:47:41 PM »
Thanks for the insight Drew355, much appreciated.  The only problem I can see is that I do in fact drive like a tool  ;D  Damn!  I'm almost sold on the Pug v6 now, I don't mind losing the rear seats and fitting the dummy engine.  I'm going to Newark to see the 430 pug in the flesh to make my mind up.  Have you noticed any difference with your Pugs steering (with the widened track and larger tyres)?  I only ask because my Covin drove like a jelly  :-\

STRDAL360

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:39:49 AM »
Thanks for the insight Drew355, much appreciated.  The only problem I can see is that I do in fact drive like a tool  ;D  Damn!  I'm almost sold on the Pug v6 now, I don't mind losing the rear seats and fitting the dummy engine.  I'm going to Newark to see the 430 pug in the flesh to make my mind up.  Have you noticed any difference with your Pugs steering (with the widened track and larger tyres)?  I only ask because my Covin drove like a jelly  :-\

My mind is set on the Pug but I do wonder about how the Pug handles around corners. After all, the weight distribution is way off 50:50 with the front end of the car being a lot heavier than the rear (the read end is almost completely chopped up and gone). 

How did the 360 demonstrator handle in real life? Has anyone seen it on the track? any video or youtube link?

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »
Sorry cant help you on the handling, I have only driven the 360 demonstrator on the perry track at donnington, I was in the lambo on the way to stoneleigh & my 430 is still a 406!

BLAZE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 02:00:01 AM »
406 or MR2?It's hard to decide.To me, the performance should match the shell.We have to wait ,to see the Extreme 430 on MR2 I am sure it will look perfect  (I hope it won't be much harder to complete than the 406) ...I think if you want a nice performance/good price ,the MR2 with Audi V8 about (300 bhp) is your choice.The engine will be on the back ,so it will be better around corners too.I really like the paddle shift option (well done Extreme)!!
Once again the 406 is good all round car with 4 seats and fake engine cover....But only 220 bhp ...

In the other topic XPERT360 says he's got NOS on his car (nice).Can somebody show us other ways for tuning the pug's v6 ??
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 02:31:28 AM by BLAZE »

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
Install a supercharger with bigger injectors you should get engine up to 300bhp or more, this will cost about £1,500-£2000

BLAZE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »
Is it possible to use the original AIRBAG with a replica steering wheel?Anyone...??

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
I very much doubt it, sorry.
The original wheel has the airbag integrated and even putting a ferrari badge on the front of the original wheel (which would look a bit naff) could cause probs if the airbag went off.

Only options really are to keep the wheel original, or to remove the whole thing including airbag and replace with an aftermarket wheel. 

Advert