Author Topic: side- rear window louvre question  (Read 2619 times)

360brian

• View Profile
side- rear window louvre question
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:40 PM »
My 355 has the black louvre behind the window- an MR2 clue. Is this particular to my version, or is it possible to replace the window to effectively black out the louvre?

What's the typical way of handling this?

Thanks in advance

Brian

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: side- rear window louvre question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:24 PM »
Brian,

just to clarify - do you mean that you can see the INTERIOR trim with the black louvres through the window, OR the original MR2 window is still used with the louvres still present in the corner ?

Either way, i would be surprised if this is an extreme kit - since the rear window tapers in towards the rear screen, so i dont see how you could fit the interior trim back in place ?  Since normally you have to cut out the corner of this trim ( the bit with the louvres ) and replace it with a curved fibreglass section which is effectivly a slimmer in fill piece.

Regardless of kit though, to disguise the louvres - how about you cut the louvres out, say to form a rectangular hole, then use double edged rubber trim as edging and then find a similiar pattern of abs plastic to fill in the hole ? make sense ?  :-\  ;D  HTH

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »
The exterior louvres are still present. I'm collecting the car on Friday, and know it has these and want to do somethinbg about it. Thanks for your comments. Next thing on the list is to replace the MR2 style filler with a more authentic ferrari one and neck.

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
Ok, its the external louvres. So in that case - i have seen other cars where they have removed the louvres and replaced that section with a black perspex section. Not the most authentic, but definately the easiest option !

Or you could remove the whole window use this as a template , and get a new window cut say out of Lexan. You would need to provide trim round the outside - which is the tricky bit to look good, but for some ideas on this have a look at:
http://extremeoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,529.0.html

What other mods you planning for your car ?

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »
Cheers,

The paintwork needs improving, front panel support could be better, door interior trim sorting, wheel spacers too small, filler cap MR2-ish nees sorting, and thats about it really. The engine note is dreamy, and the mechanics seem very good indeed.I'll probably do the black perspex thing on those louvres, as a quick fix for now, good suggestion. I'm wondering if mine really is an MR2 355 kit from Extreme, not sure how to tell.

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:58:46 AM »
If yours has had the original side windows from the mr2 fitted with  the louvres as you say it has, then it isnt an extreme kit. The side windows just wont fit back no matter what you do on the extreme, the shape is changed too much in this area
There are a few more pointers that would confirm which kit it is, but best way is to put up some pics. The best way to get the look you want is to replace the window completely, but it depends how much work you are willing to do and how far you want to go.

360brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:36 PM »
I'm reliably informed mine is from the Fiero factory, so it turns out not to be an extreme 355 after all.

Cheers

Brian

Advert