Author Topic: Pug or not to Pug  (Read 4901 times)

Argus X575

• View Profile
Pug or not to Pug
« on: November 13, 2009, 05:16:42 AM »
Okay it has been a while since I have started a topic but one of the biggest questions is ....... What about us here in the US?  Well if you have not read so far I will sum it up as Extreme is working on a MR2/Mk2 version that we here in the States can use as a donor.  Over here, we may have been possibly shafted-again thanks to the Cash for Clunkers Program.  Either way we have an option for the 360/430 kit.  I along with one other here in the US look forward to the completion of the MR2 version; yet, holding on to the 406 option.  I have been going through a couple of sites and according to what I have found a rt-hand drive vehicle is not illegal in the US (mail vehicles/demo alternative vehicles)  as well as there is a way of getting it in but so far the way in is looking to be a bit pricey.  Currently we can get the 406 in but it would be easier if the engine or engine and transmission were not in it (being stripped could make it easier as well).  If you want the engine and transmission then you would have to have receipts showing they were purchased from two different companies.  So far the biggest headache, unless my pain killers are killing more than pain, is with the insurance companies here and the DMV.  So far I am providing the main link of my information but will follow up when I get more info.  If any one can throw in a few tips I am game to look it up or check into it.

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/imports/quiktext.htm

Please understand that some states have different laws about registering, insuring, and use of modified vehicles on public roads.  Please check with your particular state regulations.

XPERT360

• Extreme Owner
    • MSN Messenger - buddyrees@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pug or not to Pug
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:51:06 AM »
If it was me, I would rather spend the tax duty and all the additional costs associated in bringing in a complete or part complete european donor car, on just purchasing the panels etc and sourcing a similar car to the 406, for example a Mitsubishi Eclipse say for instance, and just develop that car to fit the kit, just for your self. You will earn tonnes of respect plus it would cost you no where near your 1st option and you could then purchase the kit TODAY!
Check out kitcar.ca There is someone there who is doing a one off 430 on an Eclipse or 3000gt or GTO (same car). Also  A few of us on here own or have owned some high performance GTO's  so you could have some advice here.

regards

XPERT360

Argus X575

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:22:11 AM »
Funny you should say that as I have been thinking about having a complete 406 and drive it around because it is a lovely vehicle.  Yet I did happen to catch the madmechanics build by titalldi (I think) who's using the Eclipse as a donor, which I considered but would rather the 406.  I actually wanted the 3000gt because it had the 6-speed tranny but again rather liked the 406 more.  If I get lazy I probably would hence the reason I was going over the build for the Eclipse.  I am praying that my situation does not go south (health-wise) or I will have to probably buy built and ready for paint as I do not trust anyone to make mistakes on my 430 or the wife's 360.  As usual I am thankful that no matter which way I go I know I have support and once again thank you and everyone else thus far for your time and information.

bowser330

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 05:02:57 AM »
Hey Argus, long time no talk. I think the cheapest option by far would be to import the 406 LHD from france or other other LHD country. I think its been discussed that if you were to import the car without the engine and transmission, and maybe just for insurance, take apart the car as much as possible, and ship the car to the states in pieces (easy to put back together pieces) then you should have no importing issues. Also, 90-100% of Extreme's DVD would apply to your build so you wouldn't have many build issues. All you would want to do is source a strong FWD engine and transmission setup that you would install using custom subframes and mounts.

One strong FWD drivetrain choice could be the Dodge SRT-4, comes in Manual 6 speed and is a turbo motor and can be tuned to 400+hp...should be affordable to service as well...

good luck to you

Argus X575

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »
Hey Argus, long time no talk. I think the cheapest option by far would be to import the 406 LHD from france or other other LHD country. I think its been discussed that if you were to import the car without the engine and transmission, and maybe just for insurance, take apart the car as much as possible, and ship the car to the states in pieces (easy to put back together pieces) then you should have no importing issues. Also, 90-100% of Extreme's DVD would apply to your build so you wouldn't have many build issues. All you would want to do is source a strong FWD engine and transmission setup that you would install using custom subframes and mounts.

One strong FWD drivetrain choice could be the Dodge SRT-4, comes in Manual 6 speed and is a turbo motor and can be tuned to 400+hp...should be affordable to service as well...

good luck to you
Hey Dude, excuse the lapse in time.  I was thinking to use the 406 engine for a bit while I did just that (source a good FWD engine) but as for getting the 406 here it is actually cheaper for some reason to get it from the UK.  I have been on Ebay France and they are asking for more than those in the UK. Besides I would not mind the RHD yet my wife wants a LHD.  Either way I am looking to have Extreme do the bond and fit as I am physically restricted, though I would love to do it myself and I do not trust the Body/Repairmen over here.

bowser330

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:17:22 AM »

good luck to you
Hey Dude, excuse the lapse in time.  I was thinking to use the 406 engine for a bit while I did just that (source a good FWD engine) but as for getting the 406 here it is actually cheaper for some reason to get it from the UK.  I have been on Ebay France and they are asking for more than those in the UK. Besides I would not mind the RHD yet my wife wants a LHD.  Either way I am looking to have Extreme do the bond and fit as I am physically restricted, though I would love to do it myself and I do not trust the Body/Repairmen over here.

There has GOT to be somewhere we can find cheaper LHD 406's. Extreme's contacts in other countries in the EU might even be able to help source one for you...a small deposit would probably be required though...

my plan was to part-out the car for everything besides what i needed for the build...I think it would be harder to sell the parts if you already brought them stateside is what im saying...

Argus X575

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 03:03:03 AM »
Hey Bud sorry for the late reply and actually you are correct as I really did not consider that factor.  Now that you say that I may just buy from the guy I talked with you about, some time ago, and bring it back stripped down and maybe get the engine tranny from a different place or US 6-spd tranny -while having Extreme to first bond and fit the kit then disassemble and send over with seats and glass.  This will prove to be somewhat crazy but I am still working on the process in between health issues.  In any case I will update when I get more info.

Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:15:52 PM »
over here the pug 406 coupé lhd is easy to find.
see www.autoscoot.be or www.mobil.de
because the high road tax in belgium the second hand value isn't so big for big motors like the 3.0 petrol
the only interested you find are the albanian autodealers for export

I paid myself 4000€ for a 2002 3.0 petrol, manual gearbox with only 30.000km (20.000miles) on the clock.
another advantage fo this car are the cheap spareparts and in every city you have a peugeot dealer

before I bought this donor, I'v driven a 2.0 aut on liqified petroleum gas for 8 years. great car and very reliable.

for my idea its nice to have a donorcar with a big motor. the toyota MR is only 1.8
I dont think MR's with bigger engines are imported to europe...

Argus X575

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 12:38:15 AM »
because the high road tax in belgium the second hand value isn't so big for big motors like the 3.0 petrol

I paid myself 4000€ for a 2002 3.0 petrol, manual gearbox with only 30.000km (20.000miles) on the clock.
another advantage fo this car are the cheap spareparts and in every city you have a peugeot dealer

before I bought this donor, I'v driven a 2.0 aut on liqified petroleum gas for 8 years. great car and very reliable.

for my idea its nice to have a donorcar with a big motor. the toyota MR is only 1.8
Thanks for the website Beach-Dude you rock!  I will definitely check into it. I am looking at getting a LHD for the wife and if for some reason that there may be a problem with the RHD thnis will be my back-up plan.

bowser330

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:01:36 AM »

I just checked out the webpage www.autoscoot.be and found a LHD 406 coupe for 2850 Euro..still a bit expensive as I was looking to source one more in the range of 1000 Euro...especially since I will have to pay to ship it back to the states.

Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 07:47:57 AM »
i think on autoscoot.be you can also search for cars all over europe.
standard this is belgium.

Maybe you find something cheaper then.

at my meaning you only find a wreck for 1000€. this is to cheap

mobil.de is a german site. usually cars or cheaper there

is its for export to the states you cn search anywhere in europe
or maybe post a new thread "looking for donor car" ;)

greetz

bowser330

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »

greetz

you make very good points. we dont want a wrecked/significantly damaged car but minor damage is ok....

I also think your idea about fellow members helping to find and source the donor car is a great idea and I am sure this will help lots of members in the USA.

I am pretty sure we can ship the 406 coupe to the US without an engine and transmission without any trouble from the customs agents because without an engine or transmission its more like just a shell...so it cannot be smog tested without an engine and it cannot be crash tested if it cant move! haha.

Argus X575

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 07:17:09 AM »

greetz

you make very good points. we dont want a wrecked/significantly damaged car but minor damage is ok....

I also think your idea about fellow members helping to find and source the donor car is a great idea and I am sure this will help lots of members in the USA.

I am pretty sure we can ship the 406 coupe to the US without an engine and transmission without any trouble from the customs agents because without an engine or transmission its more like just a shell...so it cannot be smog tested without an engine and it cannot be crash tested if it cant move! haha.

Could not have said it better myself. :)

Advert