Author Topic: Engine Mods anyone?  (Read 1701 times)

Kraythorne

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Engine Mods anyone?
« on: September 20, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »
So is anyone modifying the engine at all?

I've been investigating all sorts of weird and wonderful mods, but the upshot is that if you take the standard engine above 280-290BHP you need to think about strengthening the engine (and that's not cheap!). This also means supercharging or turbo charging cannot be maxed on a standard engine without risk of damage - and with those also being expensive mods, not using them to the full is just a waste of money  :(

I also don't like the sound of pumping more than 300BHP through the front wheels in anything but a straight line

That just leaves fueling, head work, manifold and exhaust with standard induction methods.

So far I'm looking at fitting the following:

Flowed, ported and skimmed heads
Ported throttle bodies
FSE Boost Valve
Fast Road Cams (That still drive smoothly enough around town at low revs)
Ported Manifold/Downpipes.
Enclosed induction kit

Haven't decided whether or not to Decat yet.

Apparently the above mods are good for 35-45BHP after ECU Mapping on a rolling road and cost about £1600 (I would fit myself)

For an extra £2700 I can get a Throttle Body kit with new loom and ECU and get the engine to 290BHP, but I don't think I'll bother with that just yet.

...all in all about £4300 to get the engine to it's full potential without having to strengthen it. My thoughts are that this ain't bad when you consider that a supercharger setup can cost £5000+ and then you need to invest in forged pistons, strengthened rods, race clutch, etc to take full advantage of the money you've spent

I thought about NOS as a cheaper option of getting to 290BHP, but I think I'd prefer constant power rather than push button power.

What do you guys think? Have I been miss-informed and therefore talking crap, or are there other more cost effective options that I've missed?

I'd be interested to hear what comments/suggestions have.

XPERT360

• Extreme Owner
    • MSN Messenger - buddyrees@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine Mods anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »
IM OPTING FOR A SMALL 75 BHP NOZ KIT FROM Wizzards of Noz. Enough for me. Dont be fooled tho that its like the FAST AND FURIOUS films, its not  >:(

EXTREME

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Mods anyone?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »

Advert