Author Topic: Handbrake Lever move, and options  (Read 10212 times)

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Handbrake Lever move, and options
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:06 AM »
The one thing i really don't like about the MR2 interior and the one thing that makes it stand out as an MR2 to me is the handbrake location.

And after seeing lambolambos interior panels, (v.nice!) i am 99% decided to relocate the handbrake lever to somewhere more "discrete".

As my daily drive is an XK8 and that has a fly-off handbrake by your right knee i am currently highly tempted to fit one of those in the same location in the MR2?

Anyone else done similar?
if so, what did you use? where did you relocate it to?  etc etc
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:44:52 AM by Drew355 »

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Handbrake lever move, and options.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »
Good idea, it would keep the lines of the centre console much neater.

My fiero has the same set up for the handbrake, but im guessing an XK8 one may be easier to come by! I had an old porsche 924 that had the same set up too. It shouldnt be too bad to extend the handbrake cables to move to the side.

My ford ranger pickup has a small pull lever which you then twist to release & its mounted under the dash to the left of the wheel. May be an option, but I prefer the fly off set up & more like the original.

Lambolambo

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
I always have the idea to join the lever longer, modify a longer cable,
and relocate it to the right side of the driver seat.

Its just an idea.
But i dont know if it works.
IMPOSSIBLE? Tell yourself "I'm-possible!"

lo5er

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
ive looked into relocation of the original hand brake and it will not work
the i thought of fitting the jag brake also not checked it out yet
i do have a xk8 arriving shortly for some paint work so i will get it on the ramp here have a look and let you know if it can be done

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
As i'm a member of the XKEC I've already sourced one from a fellow member for a reasonable price.

Technically i can see no reason it shouldn't work, as at the end of the day it's just a mechanical unit, although until i've got it and had a tinker i can't be sure.

My thinking is that even if it doesn't fit / work i can always re-sell it on e-bay for the same as i bought it for!

nick355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
ive looked into relocation of the original hand brake and it will not work
the i thought of fitting the jag brake also not checked it out yet
i do have a xk8 arriving shortly for some paint work so i will get it on the ramp here have a look and let you know if it can be done

interested to know why you say it wont work ? Is it the height of the toyota handbrake assembly ? I can see this being a potential problem, you dont want to be tripping over the handbrake each time you get out of the car !

To clear my centre console i've moved my handbrake forward,down and angled down with brackets that mount to the original handbrake mounting studs - since one of the things i thought about the mr2 is how much the handbrake lever sticks up in the air ! compared to other cars.

Will be interested to know if the XK8 handbrake is a suitable doner. Drew you say the 924 is also side mounting ? Maybe the 944 too then ?

Lambolambo

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:37:25 PM »
I wonder if its the flat base cause the problem.
I know the right side of the driver seat are narrow.

Ever think of the Toyota Supra MKIV's handbrake lever?
Its mounted vertically.
U can mount it on the inner sill's wall.  :-\

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:40:54 PM by Lambolambo »
IMPOSSIBLE? Tell yourself "I'm-possible!"

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:57 PM »
I thought the 924 one was side mounted but it was a long time ago, so I could be mistaken. When I looked on ebay, they just seemed to be normal types. The one our family had was an A reg 924 maybe its only cirtain models.

The side mounted ones really do need to be the type that drop back down after operating or you will never get out without significant personal injury!!!  ;D :D

Its a simple mechanism, but with the forces when you pull the handbrake it needs to be substantial. I had to remanufacture the fiero one I had to get it working again & it was a fiddly pain in the ar5e job.

Dave, there is no reason you shouldnt be able to get the XK one to work, loser was meaning that relocation of the mr2 one wouldnt work. I assume because you wouldnt be able to get out!

If anyone is looking at aftermarket ones from deamon tweaks etc, although frequently refered to as fly off handbrakes, they ones we need arent.
Flyoff handbrakes do not have a ratchet mechanism (or have a selectable on/off ratchet) so you can pull the handbrake on momentarily for rallying etc.

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »
I've just had the Jag one turn up and it looks like it will be ideal for what I'm after!
A nice, self contained unit that sits flat when not in use.

I'll have to try and get some pics of the mech, and also with it roughly in place as I'm starting to strip the interior ATM.
Lets just hope that there are no show stoppers!

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
Nice one! I assume any Jag XK8 will do? How much did you pay for it?

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »
new ones are 200+  (i love how Jag come up with these prices!)
i got a good condition 2nd hand one + an OEM leather gaiter for £75.

After looking at it a bit more, i reckon that i'll need to fabricate a bracket to mount it, and that fingers crossed it wont foul on the seatbelt mount.  So ATM things are looking positive, but until i've tried it tonight i don't know for sure.....    ohhh  exciting

AIG1355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Temujin Restaurants
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
At the time I bought my Extreme 355 intererior from Terry at Mirror Finish he said that Rogue Sytems offered a handbrake move, don'r know how true this is.

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »
Bum... I forgot to get photos (sorry), but from my initial tinkering last night it looks as though it "should" fit with a bit of cunning!

ATM there is the possibility that it fouls on the "front seat up/down knob" and if you have the seat right forward then it may catch on the backrest lever.
But.... my carpets on that side are currently VERY badly fitted and when i finally get to removing them in a few weeks then it looks as though there will be more room to play with as when i pushed the carpets back there it seemed to be plenty of room.

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »
a mod may want to move this to the "build tips and advice" section, as that is looking a bit bare atm and this may prove to be a relevant thread one way or the other?

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »
Yep, will do  ;D

Any other bits anyone has found, or parts that can be used, add new topics to the tips and advice. Even if it seems minor, get it in the build tips section, it may help.  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:47:12 AM by Drew355 »

Advert