Author Topic: Non Extreme - Murci Build  (Read 101496 times)

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Non Extreme - Murci Build
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »
The roof fiberglass around the metal section

Section all Fillered in

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:01:35 PM by Drew355 »
I Live my life a quater miles at a time.Nothing else matters Not the Morgage not the store not my team and all there bull****.For those ten seconds or less i'm free - Don Fast & Furious

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Non Extreme - Murci Build
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
Just to clarify, I changed the topic name so that any new readers dont get confused with the way this car is being built & the way Extreme Murci's are built.

The donor MR2 has been chopped and lengthened rather than doing the engine move that Extreme cars have. The interior has been custom made rather than using the extreme interior pack & several other things have been done in a custom way by the owner rather than how extreme recommend.

Sorry, thought it was worth mentioning as there is a great deal of work shown here that isnt necessary when building an Extreme Murci.

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »
Inside pillar 2nd coat of filler

Second coat sanded

3rd coat of filler

Drivers side 2nd coat of filler

Roof skimmed

Roof skimmed 2nd coat

4th coat of filler

4th sanded

3rd coat of filler
I Live my life a quater miles at a time.Nothing else matters Not the Morgage not the store not my team and all there bull****.For those ten seconds or less i'm free - Don Fast & Furious

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
That is a shed-load of filler!
Are you using just std body filler?  Personally I'd be terrified that it would crack.

That said, 10 out of 10 for all the hard work going into this :)

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
Im confused, why is there filler plastered on the ceiling? If you wanted strength in your roof you should have fibre glassed it.

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
I think it is to make it smooth??  ???

Its going to be a bit of a nightmare to sand that down to a smooth surface. Would you not be better using a sheet of flat fibreglass or aluminium & either painting it or wrapping in leather/leatherette. Then bonding in.

I would be worried about cracking with all that filler too. Also curious why you filled the panel joins in the rear bumper etc, was it because you preferred it that way? Obviously all of our cars are personal choice, just wondered why you choose to.

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »
Reason why i fillered the inside of the roof was to smoothen it out and its not that hard to smoothen it out.The reason why i filled all the panel joints was the kit was in a state so i filled them i will be putting the joints back the way they should be before paint as for the interior its choice.

dominique

• Extreme Owner
  • Belgium
    • MSN Messenger - lambonick@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
 :o OMG!! it will be crack if you drive it a few times,just make a plate of fiberglass and glue it in if you want that look,if it was my car i would make a roof and wrapping in leather...
if you keep doing that ,you don't have to lower the car,it will be low enough of all that weight  ::)
http://check-this.me/en/?ID=lambonick
"just make your dreams come true !"

Lambolambo

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »
Yes, it will crack.
And then it will be a big mess at the interior when u want to repair or take them off.
IMPOSSIBLE? Tell yourself "I'm-possible!"

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
I wouldnt worry about any cracks in the interior as the car will only be driven once a month and then put back in a heated garage as for the inside roof i have a good idea for it will keep yous posted on it  :)

Sanding update

My Boxer dog on guard
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:35:35 PM by peggyontherun »

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
Passenger side 2nd filler

3rd fill
IMG]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7532/uuuuu003.jpg[/IMG]
Drivers side inside coming along

The top dash cover just had it in for a bit od sizing up

Fitting perfect just have to cut two brackets off as the chaps that carbon fiber dipped the dash have two large brackets on the underside.

Passenger side inside coming along

Few small cavities filled

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »

A mate of mine is gutted his corvette and putting in a dodge viper engine into her

« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:17:46 PM by peggyontherun »

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
The filler will almost cirtainly crack unless you only drive it on really smooth even roads. I really hope it doesnt, but based on past experiance the odds arent good.
Its the vibration and body flexing when you go over uneven surfaces that causes it. If you have ever seen a 'max power' type car with a smoothed off number plate area done with filler you will know what i mean. Filler should really only be a few mm thick at the most.

What happened with the wheelbase?

peggyontherun

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
Cheers Drew i am going to apply marine resin to the fillers this has been used before and its as strong as fiberglass so it will stop anything cracking and then i am going to get the inside wrapped in matt black so the filler will have 2 layers over it to stop it from cracking as my car will only be driven on flat surfaces and no secondary roads juat motorways really.

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
I see! I havent heard of using that method before.  Hope it all goes well.

Advert