Author Topic: Boot struts  (Read 1929 times)

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Boot struts
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »
With this horrible weather I was getting a bit tired of using a cardboard tube to hold my boot lid up whilst I did the templates for my boot install. I'm not going the fake engine root as I feel £600 is too much for what you get and I want a useable boot now that I'm down to 2 seats.

I order the following items from Struts Direct:-
www.strutsdirect.co.uk
SD02-250 x 2
get the rod and tube steel ball fitting SBJ2.

you then need bracket type 3 for the tube end (the one that attaches to the car)

and bracket type 6 for the rod end that attaches to the boot lid

I'm sure you could get some from another car at a scrappy but I haven't got the time to be bothered with this.

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boot struts
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
Bracket type 3 gets attached like so:-

Then prop the boot lid open the the height you want it. Attach the tube end of both struts to the bracket. A spring clip simply pulls out, pop the ball joint on and the spring clip back on.

With the boot to the correct height attach the rod end to bracket type 6. hold it up to the boot lid and mark where to drill. The just drill your holes, screw the bracket in and reattach the strut.

Once the struts are in place remove your make shift boot lid prop. There are some very small allen key head screws near the bottom end of the strut. I found these all to easy to thread so be carefull. You need to unscrew them and let a bit of gas out to adjust the strut strength. I had to let a fair amount out but keep checking by trying to close the lid. If you let the gas out until you see the one side of the lid start to drop under its own weight you've gone too far and will have to get them re-gassed.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:45:07 PM by fox_man_chris »

Snobear

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Are you sure its bracket type 3, though? I've just been on their site and there was no option for bracket 3. The closest to the pic you posted looked to be bracket 7?

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »

Snobear

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
I see, they didn't offer that option with the SD02 struts I purchased.

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
I got the same thing for some reason and had to order them from the main screen menu. Having said that the specs for bracket 7 seem to fit so it looks like you could use either. I must have just found number 3 first and ordered it (it's actually a bit smaller that bracket 7 so less obvious.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:06:40 PM by fox_man_chris »

Advert