Author Topic: Suspension adjustment  (Read 3361 times)

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Suspension adjustment
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »
Hi,
Hopefully someone on here can help me out with some mechanical question  :P The rear suspension on my 360 uses the damptech setup which is fully adjustable. When I got the car the rear suspension was at it's lowest ridge height and when the car was raised off the ground the rear springs just fell out of their seating positions. I had the car raised by about 2 inches when the MOT was done but feel it needs to go a little higher. The exhaust catches on th ground all the time when driving over the slightest bump and whilst I can raise the exhaust a little I want the whole rear end raised about 1 inch.

The problem is that when I jacked the car up the rear springs are firmly in place. How do I get them out to adjust the screw base? Will I need some small coil compressors and what are the best ones to use. Any help would be much appreciated.

This photo shows the coil with the slightly rusty screw base and the exhaust section is the matt black tube going across the bottom.

This slightly better photo shows the coil to the left, the exhaust in the middle and the rear brake and suspension parts are the rusty ones on the right. Who'd have thought that most were new 12 months ago!

Extreme Sportscars

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suspension adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »
If you need to adjust the screw base, you do it with the spring in place using a C-spanner. You'l have enough room to be able to get in with the C-spanner as  i've done it myself on your car. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:06:07 PM by wazenzo »
Extreme Sportscars
enquiries@extreme-sportscars.com

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:31:11 PM »
Brilliant  ;D To be honest I'd never even heard of one! Any idea on size or will a 3/4 to 2" adjustable one do the job.

dangerrous

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
search on ebay, i use an adjustable one on industrial machinery
D

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »
There's plenty on eBay I just need to know what size :-)

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »
The rears dont need a c spanner, they have a single locking nut and a grub screw which you undo using an Allen key. If you jack the car up on one side only the torsion bar will keep the suspension springs on both sides loaded so you won't be able to release the spring. If you jack both sides off the ground together (don't jack on the lower arms but on the sills or the centre pivot points ) then the torsion bar drops both sides and allows you to easily get both sides out.
It depends on how high or low you have it adjusted as to weather the springs actually drop out or not. There should be a rubber ring top and bottom which should keep it in roughly the right place when you lower it down again, then as it lowers the little cone shape at the top locates the top of the spring.
The best way to adjust is to actually take the whole thing out, adjust it out of the car then put it back.

Extreme Sportscars

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
If you've already got a c spanner then you can just use that  but if you havnt got one, to save having to buy one just do what drew has said.
Extreme Sportscars

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
If it has a grub screw in that rear nut, i thought using a c spanner will knacker the threads. If there is no grub screw in, you may need some way to stop it from rotating and adjusting itself down whilst driving?

Extreme Sportscars

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
Yes they do have a grub screw but you can get to this on the car aswell.
Extreme Sportscars

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
I see! Yep  ;D

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
Cheers guys. When I adjusted them the first time there was no screw and they just turned freely to adjust. It's more than likely that when they were raised the first time during the MOT the mechanic sorted the grub screw. I raised one side and put it on an axle stand to look at the spring and it was held firmly in place with no way of taking it out. The other side of the car was off the ground by about 10cm but this was due to it being one 1 axle stand. I'll jack and support both sides properly (and safely) when I have more time to see if the springs come loose.

Advert