Author Topic: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build  (Read 81950 times)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:40:09 PM »
Evening Guys

Hot off the heels of ANUDIMENSION’s post tonight , I thought I’d do the honours and start my build thread. For those of you who don't know me, I previous build was a DNA 4thirty and now that is finished, I’ve got the bug again to start another build.

Steve (the Boss) has kindly let me post my build diary on this forum and for those who read my DNA 4thirty diary; you’ll know they’ll be a few pictures!  So let’s start with a few.

Below is my DNA 4thirty with a Woodsport V6 engine conversion. Plus my donor car for this build. You can use any Porsche 986 Boxster but I have decided to go large and build on the 3.2S. It is a 2002 model with 69k on the clock.  And finally, this is what I am aiming for. Below is the ANUDIMENSION demo car.  I have seen it at Stoneleigh this year and it looks even better in the flesh. Many genuine Porsche parts are used throughout, such as lights, glass etc…

So sit back and enjoy the ride!

All the best

Paulie  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:51:35 AM by Paul79 »

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:45:57 PM »
So I picked the donor up on Saturday and I thought it best to get into the workshop asap. All summer I have been working on my house in order to do this build. It involved knocking a hole in the rear of my attached garage, adding a door so I could drive the car through into the back garden.

I then built a log cabin (the Lodge) and kitted it all out and finally the car is in there ready to start. Plan to start the strip down this weekend.

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
Hey Paul, talk about committed!  I love 'The Lodge'.. I'm sure others will enjoy following this build, me included.  Hope you have some heating in there.. the cold nights are coming!

Cheets

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
Nice one bud am looking forward to the build

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
So to begin….

I couldn’t wait until the weekend to start, so I sneaked into the Lodge a couple of evenings this week to start.

I decided to start at the back of the car and work my way forwards

Removed the boot catch cover and started to strip away the boot carpet and underlining. Rear light next, these are held by nuts. Remove the boot catch as well and keep to later
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:57:28 AM by Paul79 »

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
Removed the boot lid and then from it is removed the gas ram and hinges. These will be reused on the GTB boot lid . Made the rear spoiler come up and removed the plastic painted cover. Next I put the roof halfway up and remove the roof cover. Just needs to undo the nuts circled

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:01:19 AM by Paul79 »

Beemaman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »
Looking great Paul going to be another fantastic build :)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »
Dad was over Saturday to see the progress and while he was here, we removed the bonnet as this is really a 2-man job.

Once the bonnet was off, I removed the Porsche badge and again the hinges, gas rams and bonnet catch – these also will be reused on the GTB bonnet

Next was the wing mirrors. Pop the internal covers off to reveal the inner-workings. Discinnect the wiring. There are 3 bolts holding the mirros to the car. One of these is hidden behind a hole that has a silver sticker on it (pictured)

Driver side has the mirror controls also in the internal triable cover. Pop out the switch and disconnect. Finally removed the 3rd brake light
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:06:03 AM by Paul79 »

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »
No mirrors
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:06:41 AM by Paul79 »

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
Did a bit more tonight

Removed the windscreen wipers and the scuttle cover. This will definitely get a lick of satin black paint before it goes back on the car. Removed the battery cover and under bonnet sides covers below the scuttle cover.  The scuttle cover is held in place with nuts at either end under some caps, a screw in the middle and then 2 star bolts just behind the battery (circled). You also need to disconnect the washer jet electrics (circles and also the washer jet pipe. Then the scuttle cover will just lift off.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:25:14 AM by Paul79 »

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »
Next I started to remove front boot carpet. All standard stuff held in place with trim clips. I planned to remove the headlights next, but couldn’t.  This is because you need a special tool to do so which is in the car toolkit! But I discovered I don’t have the toolkit! Bummer.

Anyway I thought about borrowing the special tool, but then Roland told me I need the tool for the new headlights as well so might as just buy one. Next job is to remove these plastic covers so I can get the rest of the carpet out – but that is for another day (or night!)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:26:45 AM by Paul79 »

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
Great start fella.. are they still putting stupid size bolts on them cars?  I had a boxster once and it came full of 16mm and 18mm ones... Lol did my head in, talk about knuckle rash Haha.

Keep the pics coming.. very detailed which is great for those that want to have a go themselves.

Steve

Cheets

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
Nice work bud keep it up will come in handy wen i start mine  ;)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 11:08:10 PM »
Time for this week’s progress report.

The strip-down continues.  

During the week my low-level trolley jack arrived with 2 more axle stands, so I set about jacking the car up and removing all 4 wheels. The car is now supported on 4 axle stands placed under the factory jacking points, with the wheels tucked underneath the car just in case.

As I discovered last week I didn’t actually have a tool kit with the car, so that meant the headlight remove tool was missing. So I bought one off eBay. Remove the rubber grommets and stick the key in and twist and the headlight pops right out.

Next I removed the side indicators from the front bumper. These are just slotted in, so pull forwards from the back and they pop out. This reveals screws that hold the front bumper in place.

This is set to work removing the front bumper. There are various screws holding it in place top and bottom but yo u also have to remove the arch liners as well. I was shocked at how scratched the underside of the front bumper was. It was basically silver underneath!

Arch liners are fairly straight forward. They are just held in place with place nuts and trim clips.

They are pretty dirty but will be reused so will clean them up later on.  Mine were particularly poor condition at the bottom and the plastic had actually broken off in most places (see box below)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:32:51 AM by Paul79 »

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 11:11:56 PM »
Front arches without liners

Other screws that need to come out to remove the wings

Front bumper finally off
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:38:13 AM by Paul79 »

Advert