Author Topic: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build  (Read 81944 times)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paul’s ANUDIMENSION Porsche GTB Build
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »
I've also upgraded the speakers. My Boxster just had the standard one ways installed (not the Bose ones) so I bought some custom fit ones from Halfords. They sound alot better as they are 2 ways.

For the door pod's they just swap straight over. On the dashbaord speakers they need some modification. I think you can buy a kit for this but I found a video on YouTube showing how you cut away the old speaker and reuse the mounting ring. You glue the new speaker into the original mounting ring. I then run wires to the factor plug points and soldered in place. The old grill had cloth on the inside that had started to perish, so I stripped it all away. I painted the grills to freshen them up.  Assembled the speaker back together. Job done.

It isn't very clear in the picture but you can see the tweeters through the grill.

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
more...

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »
Also been experimenting with the dashbaord and the air con vent grills. I took one apart and sprayed silver. It came out ok, but I think is am going to stick with black vents. The side vents would be very difficult to paint silver and it would look a bit weird having the centre vents silver and the sides black. I am going through all the interior parts and paiting them satin black to make them look fresh

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2018, 04:38:27 PM »
A popular mod for boxster owners is to move the heater control unit down to behind the gear stick in order to fit a double din radio. There are many kits on ebay you can buy to do this. The centre trim where the control used to be needs a little tweaking. You need to cut away some plastic in order to slid the double din head unit in. I bought a conversion kit a while back but wasn't happy with it. The reason was, when the double din radio was in place, there was a gap between the top of the radio and the surround (just below the air vents). I put the project on the back burner at the time.

I was going through things last weekend and started to think about this again. Normally when you lower the heater controls, in the space above you have a storage bin (for phone etc..) I needed to buy this as in the place before was a CD rack (which I wasn't going to need). I found on ebay another conversion kit that included the storage bin and surround for the heater controls all in one, plus the radio surround for about £70. 

Also the surround for the radio is better as it fills the gap I was talking about and you actually screw the radio to the surround, so no need for the metal cages that most radios slide into. I mocked up the fitting and was really pleased. The new kit was matt black but I plan to spray this satin black so it matches with the rest of the interior.

Flyerbunch

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
Nice job! The last pieces of the puzzle?
Saw this on YouTube a while ago regarding this subject:

https://youtu.be/J38MVG0MASw

Might come in handy?

Cheets

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Looking really good Paul loving seeing the build :)

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2018, 08:32:32 AM »
A couple more jobs done on the car. Finished off the door cards and also the wing mirror blanking plates I have already bonded to the door top trim ready for fitting when the car comes back

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »
Steering Wheel
I am not that keen on the old Boxster wheel so started looking at other options. I thought about using a Boxster 987 wheel, but no one does this as the spline and airbag setups are different. However you can get a spline adaptor and if you are willing to do away with the airbag then I think it is possible to change.

I found a Boxster 987 wheel on eBay, cheap at £80 and thought the price was low enough to give this mini project a go. I bought a spline adaptor and it fits the 987 wheel perfectly. So when the car is back I just need to see if the inside of the adaptor fits the 986 steering column. Fingers crossed. Photo below of a 986 steering column (not mine)

Airbags for the 987 wheel are over £300 so I needed to find something else. I found an old tuperware pot that was the exact size, cut it down, sprayed it black and then sunk a logo horn button push into the centre. Job done!

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2018, 09:10:41 AM »
We are having a new kitchen fitted at the moment and with the car away I thought it a good opportunity to reuse some of the old units in the Lodge. I had been thinking about changing things around in there as the previous layout wasn't great. The rear of the car is so wide, where the work bench was before meant working on the rear passenger wheel arch area was tight. So I decided to move the bench to the far end. I've also got rid of the floor shelf units and replaced with wall shelves to give me plenty of space to work around the car on the sides. With the skip on the drive I took to opportunity to sort through absolutely everything and have a good tidy up. I have so much space now, I can even put my toy cars on a shelf as my wife won't let me have them on display in the house!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:14:32 AM by CdRsKuLL »

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »
So I got the news this week the car is in the final stages. All the prep is done and paint is imminent. The car has been away for 183 days (not that I'm counting lol) but the body shop has been working on other projects as well and the day-to-day insurance jobs etc... TBH with everything else going on in my life, the timing has worked out perfectly. My painter is a perfectionist and wouldn't take the job on unless he could have the time to get it perfect. They have done more than jost paint the body. They worked ages on the gaps and they are now perfect. They have also modified the wing mirrors to allow them to be bolted and remove from the car as opposed to screwed and glued.

On the side skirts, we decided to have them fitted permanently and filled in to the body. I know the real car is not like this, and on the real car they are black, but as the body colour is dark grey anyhow I wanted it all colour coded to match the front bumper. The roof required the most work but they have got it perfect and even put the roof channels in like on the real car. Next Saturday is pick up day!!!

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »
more

Paul79

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
final ones

ferrari360jd

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50:19 AM »
Looking good Paul  :) not long now and she will hav colour 

CdRsKuLL

• Fat dude
  • Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cdrskull@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
3 weeks until Stoneleigh..  not a problem ;-)  Will only take you a few days to put it back together.....

Love the mancave and great use of the old kitchen cupboards!  hmm, I wonder if the wife wants a new kitchen?

nikospassas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2018, 05:15:50 PM »
Dear Paul, I love your project and I am a follower of its progress! You have done a great job so far. I just got registered in the forum here to beg you please not to put this steering wheel on your car with this middle cup fixed like that. Ok you had a briliant idea with the old taperware and you did make it work. But mate it looks so fake from 1 klm distance. I would suggest you take it to a leather shop to make it descent for your car, similar to the original part. It wont cost you much i think but please dont put it like that on.

Advert