Author Topic: Fox_Man_Chris 360 Build Diary  (Read 15802 times)

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fox_Man_Chris 360 Build Diary
« on: August 01, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »
Well, I thought I'd start my build diary as I know I'll be asking many questions along the way  :). I've been looking at kits for about 5 months and finally chose the Extreme 360 based on their reputation. I've already bought my 3L V6 Pug with black leather interior and have dropped it off at Extreme for all the welding to be done. I haven't got any welding experience and wanted to make sure it is done properly. If this project goes well then I think my dad is going to want one built next year before he finishes work overseas. I've never taken on something this big before but having watched the DVD and found this site feel much better that I will be able to cope. Here's the donor car:-

I have now got myself 2 garages and am in the process of turning them in to my new workshop. Pics to follow!!

alien1

• Extreme Owner
  • Complete musclehead
    • View Profile
Re: Fox_Man_Chris 360 Build Diary
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
good luck with the build mate, I'll be watchijng this build diary closely.

XPERT360

• Extreme Owner
    • MSN Messenger - buddyrees@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »
were all here for you. Itll be a breeze with all the help you can have, take ya time, measure twice and cut once!!!

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
Well, I'm picking the car up tomorrow and have just finished the garage mods in time. Since I've been waiting (Extreme have been very good fitting me in so quickly) I've been using these photos I took from their garage as inspiration.

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »
Well, I started off with the garage like this:-

But after some painting and a large hammer have turned it into this (note inspirational flag!):-

Yesterday I went over to Extreme to collect the car and panels. It was a long day but it was good to finally see it in the flesh. There are many panels and bits of metal and seeing the car stripped made me very nervous. After my night shift I watched the build DVD again and felt much better. Going to spend 5 hours on Friday on the door so I'll see how far I get. The car was returned like this:-

I put the rear bumper section on just to feel better!

XPERT360

• Extreme Owner
    • MSN Messenger - buddyrees@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:02:35 PM »
AAAA those were the days. a longway ahead. Keep us posted and we'l quide you in the right direction.

Good Luck.

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »
Right, Well today I stripped the front end of the car and test fit some of the panels just to see where things are going and how. The pics below show how the car is now. I was planning on selling most panels but the front bumper took the brunt of my anger when all the rusty bolts started to snap. There was just no way the front bumper was coming off without breaking and had a few cracks anyway:-

I also removed the front headlights, wired up my new 360 rear lights and took the air filter off ready for the new custom one. Am I right in thinking that the plastic wheel arch lining needs to come off as well?

Also, I test fit the roof skin and it may be just me but it's about an inch too wide and looks way too long as it overhangs the boot hinge brackets by about 10 inches. Opinions welcomed:-

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
Have you tried sliding the roofskin down the front so it meets the end of welded on plate? you might have to trim the edges on roof as well...most of this will be explained in the DVD if you need help.

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It was just a last minute test fit and to be fair I haven't watched that part of the DVD. I'll push it forwards and see what the fit is like. I'm starting on the doors on tuesday so will watch the DVD again this weekend.

alien1

• Extreme Owner
  • Complete musclehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
looks like Extreme did a nice tidy job of the cutting and welding for you there mate. lovin what you did with the garage also ;)!

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply. It was just a last minute test fit and to be fair I haven't watched that part of the DVD. I'll push it forwards and see what the fit is like. I'm starting on the doors on tuesday so will watch the DVD again this weekend.
Yep the plate at the top of the screen is so you can move the roof skin forwards (the whole screen moves forwards and down to give a shallower rake. The tabs at the front of the screen are for locating against the A pillars. The whole front bit should drop nicely in place when it is moved forwards. Once bonded in place (Dont bond ANYTHING until all the panels are lined up perfectly BTW) the tabs can be cut off. I also believe the rear of the roof skin is left slightly oversize so you can get a good gap between it and your bootlid once that is mounted.

I noticed the bottom of the A-pillars hasnt been cut, just pushed over? Is this something new on the dvd (seems a better way of doing it), I thought they used to cut a slot in the base? I havent got the new dvd yet.

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »
Yeah, no cuts in the bottom of the a-pillars and no mention of it on the DVD. It seems that you line the roof up with an area near to the back seats and just push. I pulled the roof forward and it looks like it will be a perfect fit once the tabs are cut off allowing it to sit properly. I'm still working on the doors at the mo as I can't seem to get the door glass out. I've read that there is a bolt that can only be accessed from the outside door skin and think I have missed this. Once the glass is out and the door is shortened how does the new glass go back in. Presumably the runners wont fit as the whole window mechanism will decrease in width?

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »
Well an update so far. The doors are now stripped and ready for the dry fit of the door skins. I'm also stripping the front end but have an issue with the metal bars that support the wings. They go from the suspension points down to the front mounting bar but my air-con system sits way too high as does the radiator. I'll post some pics later for advice.

I also bought some Fiat Coupe clear side repeaters for £5. They are exactly the same as the 360 ones but a 1/10th of the price and fit directly onto the pug connectors!!  ;D

stevo

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
Well an update so far. The doors are now stripped and ready for the dry fit of the door skins. I'm also stripping the front end but have an issue with the metal bars that support the wings. They go from the suspension points down to the front mounting bar but my air-con system sits way too high as does the radiator. I'll post some pics later for advice.

I also bought some Fiat Coupe clear side repeaters for £5. They are exactly the same as the 360 ones but a 1/10th of the price and fit directly onto the pug connectors!!  ;D

Radiator needs disconnecting at the top (botton stays where it is and pushing back and new brackets fitted, carnt find any pics but they are bent to come back on then selves and have a slot cut out in them, You also need to cut the headlight surround out.

fox_man_chris

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »
Well, it has been a while since I've posted so just though I put on a quick update. The past few weeks I've been doing minor things like moving the battery to the boot and moving the parts in the engine bay that get in the way. I have managed to dry fir the door and rear wing:-

I still need to do a bit of work on the shut lines but ran out of time due to the weather.

This photo shows how the rear section sits at the back. I think I need to cut the box tube back about an inch as the wing doesn't sit flush (see 2nd pic down) and forcing it over the end just causes damage:-

I found that i had to cut and fill a small hole in the side of the wing (by the petrol car) as even when I hammered it in for the side vent to fit into it didn't go in far enough. Once the hole was cut it did give me the chance to fill the cavity behind with foam to help later with sound-proofing :-)

I'm also still waiting on the bumpers and a few other parts to be delivered by Extreme. I've sent them a message but no reply yet. They were going to be ready last week so if any of the staff get to read this can you send me a quick update. Cheers  ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:45:23 PM by fox_man_chris »

Advert