Author Topic: Frame painting?  (Read 4039 times)

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Frame painting?
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:08:30 AM »
I've seen quite a few of the build diaries and a few under construction kit in the Extreme workshops and every one seems to be leaving the space frame unpainted.  unless the resolution of the pictures isn't showing up any treatments that have been applied?

Is there a reason for this? 
Or what have others done?

I've got a few friends who've been involved in the kit car scene for a _long_ time, and the one thing i keep picking up from them is to leave no bare metal in order to keep the rust pixies at bay!

GTOpower

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Frame painting?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »
I use red oxide primer on exposed framework and welds.

davecymru

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
did you put any sealer or top coat over that? i thought that primer absorbed moisture?

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »
All bare metal should be treated with some paint or similar finish. The prob with our kits is that the bonding process needs the metal to be rough and not covered in paint. Ideally you should work out where the bonder will sit and paint everywhere else before you fit the panels. In reality, you leave the metal bare and bond the panels in place. then once its fixed, you paint all the remaining exposed areas to prevent rusting.

Im about to start on the front frame for the murci (which doesnt have anything bonded to it) & my choice of paint will be hammerite cos im lazy & dont want to have to prime then topcoat it!

Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »
Do you think the "frame chassis" could be sand blasted and zinc coated i mean a sort of pistol with which sprays a " steam zinc" (not galvanised in a warm bad of zink )

I have done this for a beach buggy i'm finishing to restore and thanks to the sand blasting, the surface stays "rough" and the painting is really "glued"  on my chassis (i mean the paint doesn' risk to go away with stone chips)

Drew355

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
I think any form of protection is good, but you couldnt do it prior to fitting as you have to weld the metalwork to the car and itself so the zinc may cause problems.
I have no idea how the fibrefill/fibreglass matting/resin would stick to the zinc coating though, so would be slightly concerned at using it all over the frame prior to bonding.

I am removing as much of the light surface rust as possible & ensuring all remaining exposed metal or welded joints are covered with hammerite. Provided the surface is clean when painted, I think this will be sufficient to keep the rust at bay.
The tube metal is way thicker than any of the MR2 chassis metal & that only has a thin paint layer & has had over 10 years head start on the rusting process compared to the bits we are adding.

redone355

• Extreme Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »
I also used hammerite on mine - 2 coats.

Advert